[fixed] Flash DEAD after latest update (2012-09-20)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
MerelyJim

[fixed] Flash DEAD after latest update (2012-09-20)

Post by MerelyJim »

Hey, *

After the latest update [approx 1GB], Flash no longer works. :cry:

If it weren't for Hulu and Youtube, I wouldn't care, but...

Is there a way to roll-back or fix this?

One of the reasons I use LMDE instead of straight-up Debian is because it should be a bit easier, but I admit, I have no idea how to fix this on my own...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: Flash DEAD after latest update (2012-09-20)

Post by killer de bug »

I have no doubt that you tried to reinstall flash after upgrading ?
anrkst

Post by anrkst »

My flash is not dead after the upgrade, but I am constantly getting notices (Google Chrome) about flash being out of date and to upgrade. This is not really a problem; I just ignore the message. But, will Google Chrome be updated in the near future. As I understand, Google Chrome comes with flash already installed.

The funny thing is I don't get these messages with Firefox.

Thanks,
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

What I did:

1. uninstall everything 'flash' completely, removing settings, etc. (the red uninstall in synaptic)
2. install mint-flashplugin-11
3. install flashplugin-installer

the #1 removes the problem files
#2 installs the mint version
#3 updates the mint version

it worked for me

(anybody got a better explanation of the correct process? im no linuxmaster)

re: google chrome... get rid of it... install chromium instead, or some other version of chromium like iron
MerelyJim

Post by MerelyJim »

Got a few hours before I can get home from work to make this happen, but I think I found a fix on the Debian forums that I'm going to try. Synaptic is all well and good, but I've been trying to grow my understanding of the command-line to fix things. If I can, and if it works, I'll post the result here.

Thanks to everyone who's chimed in. I appreciate the input.
MerelyJim

Post by MerelyJim »

Right, assuming that mint-flashplugin was the problem, I typed sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree into the command-line, which removed previous flash packages, and added the package straight from Debian. I don't know what's going to happen the next time there's a Flash update, but for now, it's working... :D

Oh, I should add that I like chromium-browser better than Firefox, but Chrome feels much the same as chromium, and if you're logged in, not sure how much difference there really is.
jamvaru

Re: [fixed] Flash DEAD after latest update (2012-09-20)

Post by jamvaru »

the difference is GOOGLE

nuff said? (i hope)
mpiter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mpiter »

MerelyJim wrote:Oh, I should add that I like chromium-browser better than Firefox, but Chrome feels much the same as chromium, and if you're logged in, not sure how much difference there really is.
Chrome is the Google version of Chromium. They added by default a few features to ease user life such as Flash and PDF plugins, downloadable in a single complete package, more audio and video tags...

Chrome is a bit easier to use than Chromium because you do not need to install several features that most users will want to use. On the other hand, Google is the source of many issues regarding private life, e.g., stealing and keeping private data without user knowledge. If you want to publicly expose your private life, use Google products and Facebook. :)
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

anrkst wrote:My flash is not dead after the upgrade, but I am constantly getting notices (Google Chrome) about flash being out of date and to upgrade. This is not really a problem; I just ignore the message.
Same here, in the last two releases on the dev channel (google-chrome-unstable).

Navigate to "about://plugins" and scroll to the Flash section. Mine complains about a security flaw in 11.1 (in ~/.config/google-chrome/PepperFlash/), and won't let me disable it to use 11.4 (in /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/).

To fix it, just rename or remove the old file. Restart Chrome.
anrkst

Post by anrkst »

mockturtl wrote:
anrkst wrote:My flash is not dead after the upgrade, but I am constantly getting notices (Google Chrome) about flash being out of date and to upgrade. This is not really a problem; I just ignore the message.
Same here, in the last two releases on the dev channel (google-chrome-unstable).

Navigate to "about://plugins" and scroll to the Flash section. Mine complains about a security flaw in 11.1 (in ~/.config/google-chrome/PepperFlash/), and won't let me disable it to use 11.4 (in /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/).

To fix it, just rename or remove the old file. Restart Chrome.

Hmmm. My flash is 11.0 d1. same complaint. And, there is no /opt/google/chrome, only earth. I have /opt/mint-flashplugin-11
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

anrkst wrote:Hmmm. My flash is 11.0 d1. same complaint. And, there is no /opt/google/chrome
Do you have Chrome installed?

Code: Select all

which google-chrome | xargs ls -l
Adobe killed Flash player for Linux at 11.2, but made a deal with Google to offer new releases in Chrome. They aren't compatible with other browsers. (see PPAPI versus NPAPI)
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

or just use Firefox; flash is workin fine for me now
I really don't see the fascination with 'chrome'; i really can't understand the obsession with google
if someone gives you candy, you don't have to eat it
MerelyJim

Post by MerelyJim »

jamvaru wrote:if someone gives you candy, you don't have to eat it
Yes! Free Candy! :lol:
Yup, when I originally posted, Flash was broken in chromium-browser, and Firefox, and I suppose in Midori, as well. Sometimes you'll get a goofy rendering with one browser and have to switch to another, and eventually find out that you'll only get the desired result if you're using Internet Explorer (Ha! Like I need to see a web-page like that...).

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input.

Return to “LMDE Archive”