Different render engine privileges?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RobRakis

Different render engine privileges?

Post by RobRakis »

Hey all. I'm still pretty new to Linux and I'm a recent Mint convert (I love freedom).

I'm using Maya MATE edition and I'm running into an issue where themes are behaving differently when I'm using a window as root as opposed to my administrator user account. It seems like the root has extra privileges to use GTK+3 or something and running as a non root account doesn't display windows the same way. I have a couple screenshots to show the difference in Caja but I know the theme isn't displaying correctly over the rest of the DE and I don't know if some kind of user setting would enable the theme over the whole login...

This is how the theme displays in Caja under my normal login...

This is how the theme displays in Caja when I open a folder as administrator...

That's just the regular Adwaita theme with Mint-X as the window theme. I assume the other dialogs throughout the theme would display the way they do under Gnome Shell but I haven't been able to figure out what kind of permission would need to be adjusted. I do have my account set as administrator with all the Advanced Settings > User Privileges checked in Users and Groups. I'm sure I'm repeating myself but it seems like I'm missing some kind of stupid hang up causing it to work differently. I appreciate all the fantastic work on this distro!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RobRakis

Re: Different render engine privileges?

Post by RobRakis »

Upon paying closer attention and other observations I get that the first screenshot is actually using Clearlooks instead of Adwaita. I assume this has to do with Clearlooks more or less being the standard Gnome 2 theme and since MATE is based on Gnome 2 it defaults to that when it can't render Adwaita (the default Gnome 3 theme) and that it only shows the theme as Adwaita correctly for individual programs that are GTK 3 compatible . . . if someone could just nod to that it would be awesome.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”