Cinnamon Menu install on Xfce

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ricklabelle

Cinnamon Menu install on Xfce

Post by ricklabelle »

Hello everyone,

I have a laptop with a GB of ram, 40 GB HD, and 1.3 ghz processor. I will install Mint 13 XFCE. On my son's laptop, I was able to install the mate mint menu instead of the regular xfce menu. How or Is it possible to install the cinnamon menu in the xfce version

thanks,
Rick
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Cinnamon Menu install on Xfce

Post by nunol »

Try

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mint-meta-cinnamon
and login with Cinnamon.

Taking a look at that computers specs I think Cinnamon is probably not the best option. Can you run "inxi -Fxxc 0" and post here the specs?
odo5435

Post by odo5435 »

nunol wrote:and login with Cinnamon.
With all respect @nunol, I don't think that's what @ricklabelle is after. I seems to me that s/he wants to run the machine in the Xfce environment. They merely want to replace the Xfce menu with the Cinnamon one.

I'm curious also. Is this possible?
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Should been more specific.

Cinnamon only runs with all the gnome 3 stuff necessary to run Cinnamon, not really XFCE any more, it's better to install the Cinnamon desktop. I don't know another way.
axel668

Post by axel668 »

I don't know about Cinnamon, but you can add MintMenu to XFCE (usually used in Mate / Gnome2). Add the XfApplet item and you should be able to select MintMenu (or any other Mate Applet you have installed).
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

Even if you were resigned to allow all the GNOME 3 dependencies to get dragged in, you couldn't just install the Cinnamon menu anyway because there's not a separate package for it. It's all or nothing with Cinnamon.
ricklabelle

Post by ricklabelle »

I was able to install the xfapplet and select the mintmenu on my son's laptop which is the same laptop excluding the speed of the processor. His is a 1.7 and mine is a 1.3. I was just wondering if an applet was available for the Cinnamon menu.
The laptop still has win xp, so I can not run the command for the specs as suggested by nunol. The laptop has 1.3 ghz proc with a GB of ram. it is a Gateway M465E.
Thank you to all who posted a reply. if someone ever finds a way please let me know.

Rick
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

ricklabelle wrote:I was just wondering if an applet was available for the Cinnamon menu.
No. For Cinnamon you really have to install everything but you can have more than one session, one with XFCE/MATE and one with Cinnamon.
ricklabelle wrote:The laptop still has win xp, so I can not run the command for the specs as suggested by nunol. The laptop has 1.3 ghz proc with a GB of ram. it is a Gateway M465E.
The CPU and RAM should be enough. For Cinnamon it's better to have 3D, you could test with LiveDVD or USB pen.

Return to “Beginner Questions”