LiveCD hangs at /etc/rc.local

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jokersloose

LiveCD hangs at /etc/rc.local

Post by jokersloose »

Hi,
I'm trying to get the LiveCD to boot a HP Pavillin dv6700 laptop. When load from the CD I get a box that says "Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode." gives me 3 options 1. Configure 2. ShutDown 3. Continue So I pick #3 and it hangs at the etc/rc.local part of the CD boot. So try it again with configure but didn't see the card listed in the options. So I followed the directions at this link http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD adding each option to end of the boot file by pressing F6 at the grub menu. Replaceing the "quite splash ---" with each option listed under motherboard. It either just hangs at the same file or gives me the same box about booting in low grapic's mode. The only that was different was the "nolapic" "acpi=off" and "pci-noacpi" they gave me a kernel panic saying "not syncing: IO-APIC and timer doesn't work! boot with apic=debug and send a report. Then try booting with noapic option. Tried that as well and it still hangs at the /etc/rc.local file. When I did the "all_generic_ide" option it gave me the same low graphics box I pick continue and it boots then goes it shuts down.

Booting into safe graphics mode, doesn't give any boot errors but it doesn't give me anything on the desktop. It will boot to the desktop I see the Mint background I see a task bar. No icons on the desktop, no Daryna button, clock nothing in the task bar.

So wondering if someone has a link I haven't been able to find?

System specs:
AMD Athlon 64X2 TK-57 1.90 GHz
2 gig Ram
150 gig Hard Drive
Nvidia MCP67M
Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter

Thanks,
James
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: LiveCD hangs at /etc/rc.local

Post by Husse »

box that says "Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode." gives me 3 options 1. Configure 2. ShutDown 3. Continue
??
I've never seen or heard of that!
I suspect a bad CD
Did you check the md5sum and burned slowly?
jokersloose

Post by jokersloose »

Yeah I checked everything. In fact this DVD has loaded 2 desktops and one laptop with no issues. I try to boot in safe graphics mode (had to do that with one one of the desktops) load it and see if the updates and such will load the driver's I need.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

Do you use the 8800 or higher NVIDiA GPU?
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Select low graphics mode, press F6, change this part "quiet splash ---" To this. "nosplash ---" REMOVE quiet and make splash, nosplash. This hopefully should work.
Nomad.

Return to “Installation & Boot”