Linux Mint and VM Ware solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crossfire139
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint and VM Ware solved

Post by crossfire139 »

I have installed a copy of Daryna on a separate physical disk as a guest OS in VM Ware.
Initially I could not get the live CD to run in VM Ware but got it going eventually by accessing the BIOS and changing the boot order.
Daryna installed OK. I elected not to install the bootloader and created:
/ partition of 8G
home partition of 10G
swap partition of 2G
Now when starting the virtual machine I get the VM Ware splash screen and then nothing, it just stops.
Also I cannot access the BIOS anymore. This used to be done by hitting F2 when VM Ware was starting. This now accomplishes nothing.
I would be grateful for any advice with this as the virtual machine way offers me a lot of advantages over dual boot.

Thanks
Dave
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint and VM Ware

Post by Fornhamfred »

Hello Dave

Have not tried running Mint on VM Ware but would have thought that you need to install the bootloader just the same as you would on a physical installation. Try re-installing.

Good Luck

Fred
Husse

Post by Husse »

I elected not to install the bootloader
As far as I know (and this is true for Virtualbox) the install is just like a real install, so how do you intend to "load the boot"?
Edit by husse
Even though this post and Fred's post are 13 minutes apart I did not see it when I wrote my answer
I don't think you have to reinstall, just install grub (google for it)
crossfire139
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crossfire139 »

I feel a complete twit!!
Everything is working fine now.
For some reason I thought that grub was only used for the dual boot situation. It's a learning curve.
Thanks for your replies guys.

Dave :oops:

Return to “Installation & Boot”