Cisco-compatible VPN client: Connection to Hamachi network?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Aethelred

Cisco-compatible VPN client: Connection to Hamachi network?

Post by Aethelred »

Hey guys!

A friend of mine and I wanted to play Age of Empires II via Internet. Usually we would use Hamachi for this sort of thing, but I changed to Linux a month ago. I am aware that it is possible to install and run Hamachi on Linux, but I was wondering whether more basic alternatives were available. I do not know much about networking and VPN software, but would it be possible to connect to a Hamachi network using the Cisco-compatible VPN client from the Mint repository? I am just intrigued and really would like to know.

Best wishes
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stratus_ss

Re: Cisco-compatible VPN client: Connection to Hamachi netwo

Post by stratus_ss »

You are looking to install something for network manager

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install network-manager-vpnc
From there click on the network icon in the tray, go to VPN connections and you should see an option when creating a new one for "Cisco Compatible VPN"

You should be good to go from there
Aethelred

Post by Aethelred »

Hi stratus, cheers for the quick reply.

I have vpnc now, but how do I use it to join my friends Hamachi network? I am not that well-versed in these matters (sorry if I missed something obvious).

Cheers
stratus_ss

Post by stratus_ss »

To be honest, I know little to nothing about Hamachi.

You asked for a cisco compatible vpn client thats what I know :D

Do you have your vpn information that you can put into the vpnc?
Aethelred

Post by Aethelred »

Hey there!

Well, the thing is more that I was wondering whether I could use VPN to log into a Hamachi network and if so, what sort of information about the Hamachi network I would have to get and type into the VPN client. Does that make sense? ;)

Have a good one!

Return to “Networking”