[SOLVED -partially] Re: Mint 13 GUI crashes Fatal X error

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
flugmint

Post by flugmint »

NOTE: see my post below regarding the "partial" solution.

I've been running Mint 13 cinnamon/MATE for about a month with no trouble whatsoever. Yesterday, I was busing using graphics applications--GIMP and Inkscape--without issue. Then, last night I ran an apt-get "update" and "upgrade" and I noticed a number of packages updating (I can't quite recall, but I'm pretty sure the files related to "xserver").

This morning, everything is working fine... except that if I open GIMP or Inkscape... they run, I can open files, but when I mouse click on the open file the desktop environment immediately crashes and I get kicked to the login screen.

It seems only to be effecting these graphics manipulation applications and not others such as browser, writer, vlc.

It is also not confined to cinnamon, but is also happening with the same install of Mint 13 but using MATE and the GNOME 2 DEs

I have a parallel install of LMDE which I have booted into (no recent package upgrades) and I'm therefore using the same hardware, drivers, DE, etc... and there I can use GIMP and Inkscape without any problem.

I have also done a full system reinstall, but to no avail (I'm guessing that once all the packages are updated I'm pulling in the recent changes that are causing the problem). I release now that I could have checked the ''mintUpdate.history" log but its been written over with the reinstall.

Also, I've tried unistalling the proprietary ATI graphics driver, but the problem also occurs with the linux drivers.

Here is my hardware configuration

Code: Select all

~ $ inxi -b
System:    Host: coady-thinkpad Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   System: LENOVO (portable) product: 2732BHG version: ThinkPad R500
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 2732BHG Bios: LENOVO version: 7YET79WW (3.09 ) date: 11/19/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8700 (-MCP-) clocked at 800.00 MHz 
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV620 [Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series] 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: ati,fglrx (unloaded: vesa,fbdev,radeon) Resolution: 1680x1050@60.1hz 
           GLX Renderer: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series GLX Version: 3.3.11627 - CPC
Network:   Card-1: Intel PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN [Shiloh] Network Connection driver: iwlwifi 
           Card-2: Broadcom NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver: tg3
Here is a recurring error message from "/var/log/syslog"

WARNING: mdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
Output from "/var/log/mdm:0.log.1" (this is one of numerous error logs)

X.Org X Server 1.11.3
Release Date: 2011-12-16
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.42-23-generic x86_64 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux user-thinkpad 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:39:51 UTC 2012 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-23-generic root=UUID=2a02c379-3997-4b64-8df2-b735dada2ad0 ro quiet splash
Build Date: 26 June 2012  06:59:03AM
xorg-server 2:1.11.4-0ubuntu10.3 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support) 
Current version of pixman: 0.24.4
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Jul  5 20:01:10 2012
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory

Backtrace:
0: /usr/bin/X (xorg_backtrace+0x26) [0x7fd256ed0996]
1: /usr/bin/X (0x7fd256d48000+0x18c83a) [0x7fd256ed483a]
2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x7fd25606e000+0xfcb0) [0x7fd25607dcb0]
3: /usr/bin/X (0x7fd256d48000+0x5e71a) [0x7fd256da671a]
4: /usr/bin/X (0x7fd256d48000+0x58070) [0x7fd256da0070]
5: /usr/bin/X (0x7fd256d48000+0x1230ef) [0x7fd256e6b0ef]
6: /usr/bin/X (0x7fd256d48000+0x4e8b1) [0x7fd256d968b1]
7: /usr/bin/X (0x7fd256d48000+0x3d6da) [0x7fd256d856da]
8: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0xed) [0x7fd254f0376d]
9: /usr/bin/X (0x7fd256d48000+0x3d9d1) [0x7fd256d859d1]
Segmentation fault at address 0x28

Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support 
	 at http://wiki.x.org
 for help. 
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.

ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
Output from "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" is attached.

Any help would be much appreciated.

-flugmint
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
flugmint

Re: Mint 13 Desktop crashes - mdm: Fatal X error

Post by flugmint »

Well, no replies! (wrong sub forum...?)

Anyway, I can confirm that this problem was introduced by a recent package upgrade in Mint 13.

I've just done:
- a clean install of Mint 13
- only updated level 1 and leve 2 packages (i.e. no level 3)
- added the proprietary ATI drivers

Everything is running smoothly, including graphics manipulation applications, just as the system was working for me the whole month prior. On my earlier install, I had updated all packages including level 3 and backports.

If anyone is interested in trying to pin down where the problem was introduced, I'm happy to post any information requested.

Thanks

-flugmint
Gyalogtank

Re: Mint 13 Desktop crashes - mdm: Fatal X error

Post by Gyalogtank »

I have experienced the same problem under Ubuntu 12.04, after the last update, Gimp crashes anytime I do anything with it.
flugmint

Re: Mint 13 Desktop crashes (after updates) mdm: Fatal X err

Post by flugmint »

bump...
flugmint

Post by flugmint »

I'm marking this as partially solved as I only fixed the problem by downgrading the problem packages... therefore, in my view, this counts only as a "partial" solution because I haven't resolved the real bug.

As I mentioned above, I had an idea that the package upgrades that caused the problem were related to "xserver" (this reminds me that you should always pay close attention to the files which are being upgraded... :wink: ).

So I downgraded the following two packages:
xserver-common=2:1.11.4-0ubuntu1.3 => xserver-common=2:1.11.4-0ubuntu1
xserver-xorg-core=2:1.11.4-0ubuntu10.3 => xserver-xorg-core=2:1.11.4-0ubuntu10

My feeling is that the problem lies only with "xserver-common" but I don't have time to test it right now. I can confirm that this package downgrade has resolved the "X/desktop crashing on mouse click" problem with graphics applications such as GIMP and Inkscape (as described above).

There is obviously some sort of conflict being caused by the upgraded xserver package/s.

For those who want to know how to "downgrade" packages, you need to search the package to make certain there are lower versions available:

sudo apt-cache showpkg packagename
The output will have a section "Provides" which will list different version numbers.
Then install the lower/downgrade version:

sudo apt-get install packagename=version-number
Link the package name to the version number with the equals sign ("="). There is a good post here which explains this.

Finally, could I ask for some advice:
(1) is it therefore adviseable not to update Mint 13 with upstream packages (levels 3+)?
(2) how can I lock the downgraded packages so that they don't mess up my install again?
(3) how can I find out what the problem was that the package upgrade caused?
(4) which log file tells me what packages (and their details) have been effected by an "apt-get upgrade"? (Is this the "'mintUpdate.history" log?)
(5) what information can I provide to developers (or others) so that this problem (bug) can be resolved for other users?

-flugmint
flugmint

Re: [SOLVED -partially] Re: Mint 13 GUI crashes Fatal X erro

Post by flugmint »

bump...

Finally, could I ask for some advice:
(1) is it therefore adviseable not to update Mint 13 with upstream packages (levels 3+)?
(2) how can I lock the individual downgraded packages so that they don't mess up my install again?
(3) how can I find out what the problem was that the package upgrade caused?
(4) which log file tells me what packages (and their details) have been effected by an "apt-get upgrade"? (Is this the "'mintUpdate.history" log?)
(5) what information can I provide to developers (or others) so that this problem (bug) can be resolved for other users?

-flugmint
Viggo

Re: [SOLVED -partially] Re: Mint 13 GUI crashes Fatal X erro

Post by Viggo »

I had same, or at least, same kind of problem. I installed fresh install of Linux Mint 13 Mate. Downloaded drivers for my graphics card (HD 5770) from amd.com (there really are drivers at amd.com website for linux!) I did not install any "restricted drivers". Then rebooted. Everything worked fine. Even World of Warcraft started with wine without ANY configuration... But then installed updates / upgrades normally, with apt-get update & apt-get upgrade. After updating system needed to be rebooted. Then came the same problem. Black screen, and system crashed totally. Even ctrl+alt+delete did not work.

But I got that problem solved!

I started linux in recovery mode, and first choose "fsck - Check all filesystems" from "recovery menu" (makes filesystem "writable", which is needed to do any changes on harddrive). Then choose "root - Drop to root shell prompt" from "recovery menu", to start linux in text mode. When it asks "Give root password for maintenance" just give same password that you use with your usr acoount (or any other passwd with root priviledges).
Then when logged in just type:

aticonfig --uninstall
After ati-drivers have been uninstalled reboot system, and start Linux Mint normally. Now it should work, but doesn't have anymore Ati-drivers on it. So just re-install same drivers, then reboot, and WUOLA! Everything works normally, as it used to be before updating.

So basically after update just uninstall Ati-drivers in "recovery text mode", and install them again when Xserver is running. This is lots of easier than "downgrading" packages, atleast in my opinion. If only possible always use drivers from amd.com website, DON'T use drivers from "restrictred drivers" - list! (as I said IF possible).

I think this problem is caused because upgrade also updates kernel, in which also configuration for ati-drivers exists. When upgraded new kernel doesn't "understand" old xorg.conf file? In any ways you guys could try this solution when updating crashes ati-drivers!

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”