[SOLVED] LibreOffice does not open .doc file

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] LibreOffice does not open .doc file

Post by vistad »

I mostly used LMDE, where everything worked fine for me. Now I decided to try LM13 Mate. Problems started immediately upon installation. This doesn't work, that doesn't work. The distro is too raw, or what? Now LibreOffice does not open .doc file. It starts, shows its logo and immediately exits. I tried to reinstall with no success.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint Mate 21.2 64, fanless box with passive cooling
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: LibreOffice does not open .doc file

Post by kyphi »

LibreOffice opens .doc files just fine.

Did you download LinuxMint 13 MATE edition from the LinuxMint site? After the download did you run a md5sum check to verify the integrity of the download?

It seems that you have a faulty copy of the operating system.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
axel668

Post by axel668 »

Maybe you should go back to LMDE if that's what works best for you.
Debian, even Testing, usually has older, more mature versions of programs like LibreOffice
(By the way, if LibreOffice doesn't work you can also try OpenOffice or Abiword).
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vistad »

kyphi, thank you, I will try full reinstall. Sure I downloaded the DVD iso from the linuxmint.com and I think I checked md5 and it was OK.
BTW, do you also use LM13 Mate? What are the faults you found after the installation - what was not working?

So far I can not depart from LMDE, because nothing else works properly - I mean hundreds of annoyances here and there.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

No, vistad, I do not use LM13 MATE although I have it installed in VirtualBox to help users to solve problems. I have not come across any faults with MATE so far.
I prefer to use LM13 Cinnamon (for stability) with Gnome-shell as well as Pure OS5 (Debian Sid for cutting edge).
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] LibreOffice does not open .doc file

Post by vistad »

I found what the problem was. For unknown reason the folder .config/libreoffice changed its permissions. It gained a sign of a lock on it. Of course I could chown it, but I decided to delete it. Then I started LibreOffice and it recreated it anew. After that it worked fine!
UeB

Post by UeB »

Thanks this theard helped me a lot. I had exaclty the same problem and deleting .config/libreoffice solved it.
yoramdavid

Post by yoramdavid »

I have a similar problem, I installed LibreOffice 4 because the version that comes in the program manager is 3.6 and was giving me problems, such as no borders in calc.
I must say I liked 3.6 better.
And since that I launch the program, no matter which one, it seems to start then does nothing.
I have no lock file under ./config/LibreOffice. There is still the folder from version 3 there aside with folder 4...

Thank you.

Return to “Software & Applications”