Linux sees mic, program doesnt.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
douggiephresh

Linux sees mic, program doesnt.

Post by douggiephresh »

"Sound" sees my Logitech g35 headset. It sees the headphones and it sees the microphone. I can even test them inside of "Sound". However, I am trying to use Rosetta Stone via Wine and it doesnt detect my microphone. What would be the reasons? It worked in windows.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux sees mic, program doesnt.

Post by Flemur »

Try running
$ winecfg
and check the Audio tab.

If that doesn't help, you might need pulseaudio*, or its absence...
http://wiki.winehq.org/Sound :
"Some users have suggested disabling or removing PulseAudio as a workaround for Wine-related sound issues." (but not recomended).

* I do all my audio thru wine and so far I've always had to install pulseaudio to get "what you hear" recording to work (with or without wine), tho that doesn't address the microphone issue.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
stratus_ss

Post by stratus_ss »

Its probably something you need to set in winecfg.

You have to do the same thing for USB keys, you have to add them into winecfg
douggiephresh

Post by douggiephresh »

how do i check winecfg?
douggiephresh

Post by douggiephresh »

Ok i got into wineconfig through the menu. I put all audio options to G35 headset. rosetta stone still doesnt see my mic. It worked in windows so i dont think its a rosetta stone problem. tried removiing pulse audio, didnt work. this is how i have wine configured http://imgur.com/ba1rL
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Linux sound is a pain - adding wine makes a real PITA.

I just noticed that my "record what you hear" thru wine wasn't working anymore...sigh. Various versions of wine seem to have different sound problems. (Here: wine-1.5.14 and pulseaudio 1.1)

Here's what I did to fix it, and FWIW you might try the same or something similar:

- install/enable pulseaudio
- install "pavucontrol" (small program).
- another thing to check is "alsamixer", mostly to see that nothing's muted. You should already have it.

- while using the mic & program, try the various settings on pavucontrol (I had to change the Config/Profile value to various values - then the recording worked, then I set it back to where it started - analog stereo duplex - and it still worked....bigger sigh).
Anyway, pavucontrol has settings for mics.

- winecfg shows my driver as "winepulse.drv"; the devices have a choice of Pulseaudo or "System Default" - they're all Default (just checked: "Pulseaudio" works, too). My recording program (audition w/wine) has a device/driver choice of "Pulseaudio" or "Wave Mapper", and they both work (wine probably points Wave Mapper - and "Default" - to Pulseaudio). My playing program - foobar under wine - is set to Pulseaudio but "Primary Sound Driver" works too.

Summary: I think the secret lies in having pulse and pavucontrol, having wine use winepulse.drv, and fooling around with pavucontrol until your mic works....wish I had something smarter to tell you!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
linux248

Post by linux248 »

I am running Wine 1.5.20, Mint 14, and Rosetta Stone Version 3.3.5 and found a fairly simple solution for the microphone problem that has worked on various systems:

1) Open Wine Configuration to the Libraries tab
2) Enter "winepulse.drv" in the override section. Accept the warning.
3) Edit the newly added override and set it to "disabled"
4) Apply the changes.
dookov
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dookov »

Google brought me here.
This solution worked for me!
Using Wine 1.7.18, with Rosetta Stone 3.4.7

Belated thanks!
hrturner

Post by hrturner »

Sorry for the necro post. Google also brought me here. Was having an issue where the USB mic would record but all audio was coming out of the PC internal speaker.

Using Wine 1.7.28, Kernel 3.16-generic, Rosetta Stone 4.5.5 (TOTALe), according to lsusb headset is made by Syntek Semiconductor Co., Mint 17 Cinnamon

Just wanted to confirm that Linux248's advice will work also in Rosetta Stone Totale (v4.5.5). The only thing that was different was after applying the changes, winecfg -> audio then change the defaults to the USB headset. At this point audio worked for both recording and listening. Hope someone else finds this useful!

Return to “Sound”