The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5

Post by arjay »

Schoelje wrote:
BostonPeng wrote:I'd be willing to help with this if I can. What would you need me to do?
For inspiration/example I've attached the current texts. It's in HTML but I just need the text: I'll make HTML out of them.
You probably can find the necessary inspiration on the Linux Mint site, but if you want to write it yourself, please do.

You can add more subjects (a separate file) if you want. More in this case is better.
If you are going to amend the slides perhaps you might consider my suggestion from an earlier post with regards to the Safe Updates slide which at the moment doesn't appear to have any bullet points. I thought that we could stress the safety of both the way files are updated and the way they are stored. Something like this:

* All updated files are maintained and closely checked by trusted developers and maintainers.

* All files are stored in special secure repositories for your use.

[Though I am not sure how the third party files are dealt with and if they are as secure etc?]
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Thanks, arjay. I finally got to take a quick look at what's there this morning and I added your suggestions to the safe browsing page. I'll try to give everything a better look in a bit and get something put together by the end of the day.

@Schoelje:
I can make the changes to the html pages themselves, in fact I'll be working in html to check the way they look. If you want I can just send the html pages or I can create text pages for you. I used to make web pages and my startup page in Chrome is a page of links that I created to make it easier to get to frequently used sites so working in html is no problem for me. Whichever way you'd prefer is good for me, I just wanted to offer you the option.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

BostonPeng wrote:I can make the changes to the html pages themselves, in fact I'll be working in html to check the way they look. If you want I can just send the html pages or I can create text pages for you. I used to make web pages and my startup page in Chrome is a page of links that I created to make it easier to get to frequently used sites so working in html is no problem for me. Whichever way you'd prefer is good for me, I just wanted to offer you the option.
Thanks BostonPeng, HTML would be perfect!
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

It's still primarily an Ubuntu-based distro.

'Thought I'd try a KDE spin of LMDE and each time, the download just dies.

Not sure what thread it was but there was a post with the downloads and same thing happened before. Time to just stay with regular Debian. LMDE is a failure.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

telenux wrote: Not sure what thread it was but there was a post with the downloads and same thing happened before. Time to just stay with regular Debian. LMDE is a failure.
Seems very harsh (not to say a little odd) to write off a distro because of a download failure. Presumably you do mean download and not boot, or install? I also had a problem with the download - it took 2/3 attempts to get the full iso but well worth the wait. Patience is a virtue they say - seems in short supply in this case.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

telenux wrote:It's still primarily an Ubuntu-based distro.
LMDE is definitely not Ubuntu-based. If it were you could use PPA's and if you try to install anything on LMDE from a PPA you're looking to break your system. (There are a very few rare exceptions, but they do more to prove the rule than negate it.)
arjay wrote:
telenux wrote: Not sure what thread it was but there was a post with the downloads and same thing happened before. Time to just stay with regular Debian. LMDE is a failure.
Seems very harsh (not to say a little odd) to write off a distro because of a download failure. Presumably you do mean download and not boot, or install? I also had a problem with the download - it took 2/3 attempts to get the full iso but well worth the wait. Patience is a virtue they say - seems in short supply in this case.
What arjay said.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

BostonPeng wrote:
telenux wrote:It's still primarily an Ubuntu-based distro.
LMDE is definitely not Ubuntu-based. If it were you could use PPA's and if you try to install anything on LMDE from a PPA you're looking to break your system. (There are a very few rare exceptions, but they do more to prove the rule than negate it.)
Quick author search on this forum shows a heap of troll-like unnecessarily provocative posts - bet ignored methinks.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Thanks arjay. I wouldn't have thought to run a troll check.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Thanks guys, these are things I cannot react to, but I'm happy you did.

Now, for something more important: I'm working on the live installer so that PAE is supported from the start.

The live iso needs to start with the 486 kernel, obviously.
To support both 486 and PAE, I made a live iso with both kernels (like this, no PAE needs to be downloaded).
After install you'll have a system, identical to the live iso with both kernels installed.

When the system supports PAE, I would have liked to remove the 486 kernel and visa versa.
Unfortunately, you cannot remove a kernel that is currently in use so a 486 system would have only the 486 kernel, but the PAE system would have both kernels.
The PAE system boots from the PAE kernel but both kernels are listed in GRUB.
No biggy, but not according to standards where just one kernel is listed in GRUB after a fresh install.

I can, of course, move vmlinuz and update-grub so that only the PAE kernel is listed, but the 486 kernel will still be installed.

So, what would you prefer:
  1. List both kernels in GRUB
  2. Leave only PAE kernel in GRUB
Last edited by Schoelje on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I don't mind having both kernels in GRUB. That way if something goes wrong (like that ever happens 8)) I have a fallback.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

So, what would you prefer:
1. List both kernels in GRUB
2. Leave only PAE kernel in GRUB

I'd vote for the second option. KISS rules here IMO but others might think different. If you keep it in (for example on safety grounds) it would be OK but the titling needs to clearly differentiate - i.e one says PAE (recommended) and the other 486 (Fallback) or some such wording
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje wrote:So, what would you prefer:

List both kernels in GRUB
Leave only PAE kernel in GRUB
i would prefer to have both listed as well: as BostonPeng says if something goes wrong the "fallback" is there visible and easily selectable (and by wrong i mean unseen hardware incompatibility, drivers bugs (this is one example) )
furthermore if grub works as expected PAE will always be the default boot;

one thing though i'm curious: i would like to see (or test :wink: ) this iso in an upgrade to sid (there's a new kernel there) to see how it copes with upgrading both kernel and which one prevail as default.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

zerozero wrote:i would prefer to have both listed as well: as BostonPeng says if something goes wrong the "fallback" is there visible and easily selectable (and by wrong i mean unseen hardware incompatibility, drivers bugs (this is one example) )
furthermore if grub works as expected PAE will always be the default boot;
Valid point. Sorry arjay, if you can't top that, I'll leave both kernels listed ;)
zerozero wrote:one thing though i'm curious: i would like to see (or test :wink: ) this iso in an upgrade to sid (there's a new kernel there) to see how it copes with upgrading both kernel and which one prevail as default.
As soon as BostonPeng is done (no pressure ;) ), I'll create and upload the iso for you to play with.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Quick question Schoelje: What's the order for the slides? It's been a while since I've seen an install slideshow and I don't recall what order they show up in.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

BostonPeng wrote:Quick question Schoelje: What's the order for the slides? It's been a while since I've seen an install slideshow and I don't recall what order they show up in.
There's not a particular order so you can decide how you want the order to appear (as long as you start with the welcome page).
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Okay. I was looking at the Kubuntu install slide show and I got some ideas. What media player apps are installed by default? All I can remember is installing Amarok at some point across my install history. And would there be a problem if I mention that codecs are installed by default so they're useful out of the box? OI know it's a point of contention for some Linux users.
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

I'd be satisfied with a LMDE that just works regardless of which DE they focus on.

I meant the concentration is on the regular Mint or that with the Ubuntu base.

Some have said I have 'troll' posts because I'm blunt with my criticism but it is intended to be constructive. But, I noticed a few user ignored after they inquired about problems. I think they ended up leaving.

I'm just wondering why when I try to download, it conks out after only 300 or so MBs are downloaded when it's a 1.2GB file. This one computer I'm working on for someone has had some issues with straight Debian and I just want to find a debian-base with whatever DE will work.

*195 MiB (different than declared volume size) -> so even conked out earlier than last time. But, of course, that is shrugged off here.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Schoelje wrote:As soon as BostonPeng is done (no pressure ;) ), I'll create and upload the iso for you to play with.
Here's what I have right now. I haven't expanded the number of slides but I did add a little to them. Feel free to roll back any changes I made.
cbrunos

Post by cbrunos »

Hi all,

I am new to LMDE and had some questions.

-My computer has a Nvidia GPU, will I need to re-install the drivers every time I update the kernel, or is this automatically taken care of?

-How is the update process in LMDE? Is it like Arch, where there are continuous updates, or is more like every six months or so the users get large updates at once (if I understand correctly, it's a bit of the two? Continuous security updates and massive updates to applications, like getting KDE 4.9.x every six months or so)?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

BostonPeng wrote:Here's what I have right now. I haven't expanded the number of slides but I did add a little to them. Feel free to roll back any changes I made.
Perfect! Just changed a minor typo and I'm testing it now...looks good.

Could you please add another subject: compatibility with MS Office?
I feel that is an import subject for people coming from Windows (like I was not so long ago).

Feel free to add more subjects if you like (you or anyone else reading this).
Now I just need it translated:
Dutch, I can do.
I think Spanish, French and German to start with...any volunteers?

Return to “Chat about Linux”