[Resolved] MDM (GNOME Display Manager) is not running.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

[Resolved] MDM (GNOME Display Manager) is not running.

Post by Trapper »

This question pertains to the new LM13 Mate RC. Forgive me if it's the wrong place to ask. There are so many boards in the LM forum that it gets confusing.

I just installed LinuxMint 13 MATE RC. I was immediately hit with this error when I attempted to edit my login window. How do I cure this and get back to MDM?

Code: Select all

MDM (GNOME Display Manager) is not running.

You might be using a different display manager, such as KDM (KDE Display Manager), CDE login (dtlogin), or xdm. If you wish to use this feature, then your system will need to be configured to use MDM instead.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
werkman2
Level 1
Level 1

Re: MDM (GNOME Display Manager) is not running.

Post by werkman2 »

i have the same problem, not found a solution jet. purged mdm and then reinstall only helped a day or 2 then problem reocurs
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Please reports problems with the RC on the blog as requested there.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
trialpha

Post by trialpha »

I'm experiencing this same issue, with the final release Linux Mint 13 "Maya" MATE.

I just installed Maya over the weekend. When I try to use 'Menu/Logout/Switch User' or 'Menu/Administration/Login Window' I receive a dialog that says "MDM (GNOME Display Manager) is not running." The dialog goes on to say that I might be using some other display manager, shouldn't be the case.

It is oddly intermittent, and I have tried installing LightDM, then tried uninstalling then reinstalling MDM and, as werkman2 reported, it seems to help for a while but the problem recurrs soon after.

My system is rather old - built in late 2000: MSI K7T266Pro2-RU (MS6380), AMD Athlon XP 1500+ (1350Mhz), 1GB RAM, 2X 40GB HDD, NVidia GeForce 2 MX400. Clean install Mint 13 MATE, linux-3.2.0-23-generic-pae i686.

Please advise.
elleran

Re: [Resolved] MDM (GNOME Display Manager) is not running.

Post by elleran »

I was also having this problem and noticed that

Code: Select all

/etc/X11/default-display-manager
contained /usr/sbin/gdm which didn't actually exist. I changed the file to make the default display manager /usr/sbin/gdm, restarted and no longer got the error message.

Return to “MATE”