[Solved] Are there any Alpha/Beta phases for Linux Mint?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brucey99

[Solved] Are there any Alpha/Beta phases for Linux Mint?

Post by Brucey99 »

Hi

I was wondering if there are any public testing phases for Linux Mint releases (Alpha/Beta).

I can only find Release Candidates, so I'm guessing this is for people to test and then the final is released about a week later?

I know in Ubuntu, after a final release, only critical/crash bugs are fixed. Is this true for Mint, or are all bugs fixed whenever they are seen to?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Are there any Alpha/Beta phases for Linux Mint?

Post by remoulder »

No, linuxmint does not have public testing releases other than the release candidate, however there are private versions for development testing, see http://community.linuxmint.com/
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

The packages are usually put into the repository for the next release around the time the Ubuntu release happens (in Mint 14's case, a week before). Theoretically, you could add packages from this repository and from the linux mint github stuff, but there is no iso published until the RC. Note that for Linux Mint, the RC is considered more of a public beta than a candidate for release that won't have an changes unless there are major bugs - there can be many changes between RC and release. As for updates, Linux Mint recieves the same updates Ubuntu does to most applications. If Ubuntu fixes a bug, then the bug is fixed in Linux Mint. However, for mint software like mintInstall and mintUpdate, updates are pushed whenever they are ready. My guess is if there was a major bug that Ubuntu didn't fix, then linux mint would add their own patched version, but I haven't seen that happen so far.
Brucey99

Post by Brucey99 »

Both of these comments answer my questions, many thanks

Return to “Non-technical Questions”