Screenshot app and amd/ati issues

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
c-m

Post by c-m »

Print screen doens't work for me either.

All i get is a png of the lock screen, or of the desktop. It seems to ignore open applications.

This means I can't take shots of browser windows etc..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, c-m.
May I suggest that you read the thread from the beginning carefully, please.
  • Have you checked whether after pressing <PrtScr> the screenshots are silently stored in your folder $HOME/pictures? [1]
  • Have you followed the steps briefly explained in the first reply to pepperminty's report? [2]
Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
c-m

Post by c-m »

karlchen wrote:Hello, c-m.
May I suggest that you read the thread from the beginning carefully, please.
  • Have you checked whether after pressing <PrtScr> the screenshots are silently stored in your folder $HOME/pictures? [1]
  • Have you followed the steps briefly explained in the first reply to pepperminty's report? [2]
Kind regards,
Karl

Yes items are saved in the pictures folder, but they aren't correct, they don't show my browser windows, and the times don't match up.

I've since realised that there is a bit thread on it, but no proper solution.

There needs to be an update that fixes this really.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, c-m.

The question may sound a bit stupid, yet: we are still talking about Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon desktop, aren't we?
The reason for asking is this: On my Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon desktop, everything works as explained. [1]
Yet, on my Linux Mint 13 Xfce desktop, pressing <Ctrl><PrtScr> will not have any effect at all.
But pressing <PrtScr> alone will make the application window of the programme Screenshooter appear.
I.e. on the Xfce desktop pressing <PrtScr> will have the same effect as running gnome-screenshot --interactive on the Cinnamon desktop.
So my question is:
In your case, are we talking about Cinnamon, using gnome-screenshot, or Xfce, using xfce4-screenshooter?

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
c-m

Post by c-m »

Yeah Mint 13 Cinnamon.

I found this thread

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=103522

Which shows that print screen doesn't work correctly in Mint 13 Cinnamon. Which is a pain, as I already have to live without Hibernate.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, c-m.

I can confirm what pepperminty added in his initial post:
On Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon desktop pressing <PtrScr>will silently launch gnome-screenshot, take a screenshot of the complete desktop and save it to a file in the folder $HOME/pictures.
To be precise, on my localized Mint 13, the folder will be $HOME/Bilder, and the filename will be Bildschirmfoto-dd.mm.yyyy-hh24:mi:ss.png (screenshot-dd.mm.yyyy:hh24:mi:ss.png).
If this does not work on your Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon desktop, please, go to Menu => System Tools => System Settings => Section "Hardware" => Keyboard => Tab "Shortcuts" => Item "Screenshots" and check whether the <PtrScr> has not been assigned to any action.
Cannot post any screenshot of it right now, because I am on Xfce at this moment. It is similar, but not completely identical.

As the linked thread seems to suggest that the problem occurs on virtual machines:
My Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon Desktop does not run in a VM, but on a physical machine.
The graphics card is not AMD, but Nvidea.
The kernel is the current v3.2.0-32.
Cinnamon is v1.4.

Kind regards,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lifeline
c-m

Post by c-m »

I don't think you understand my issue, or perhaps I haven't explained it well.

I have already said that pressing print screen DOES take a screen shot, and that it saves it in home/pictures.

All is good? Nope.

The screen shot is not representative of what I can see on screen. For example if I have a browser window open and press print screen, my screen shot will actually just be the desktop. No browser window.

The time on the screen shot, doesn't mate the time I actually pressed the print screen button.

It's like it's going back in time and taking a screen shot from 3-5 minutes prior to me actually pushing the print screen button.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, c-m.

I finally see. :oops: This corresponds to the reports in the thread you pointed to. The thread starter of our little thread here, pepperminty, however, was only confused by the fact the <PrtScr> did not seem to trigger any action at all, because actually it performs its job all too silently, at least for those of us for which <PrtScr> does work.

Are you using Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon in a virtual machine?
Is your Linux Mint 13 fully updated? - Mine is. I install all offered official updates, including those in the categories 4 and 5, which by default Linux Mint will not display and install. (By including all updates of all 5 categories, I get the same updates as the corresponding genuine Ubuntu 12.04.1 gets.)
Which graphics card has your machine got?
Which driver are you using? The open-source driver provided by Debian/Ubuntu or the closed-source driver provided by the video card producer? (I am using the proprieraty Nvidea drivers. Better performance.)

Once I am back on Linux Mint13 Cinnamon, I will check the exact version numbers and post them for comparison purposes, e.g. the gnome-screenshot version, MDM version, Cinnamon version.

Kind regards,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, c-m.

As promised here are my specifications of the machine running Linux Mint 13 x64 Cinnamon where gnome-screenshot works as designed, i.e. I can take current screenshots:
  • Mint edition and kernel release:

Code: Select all

lsb_release -a; uname -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:	LinuxMint
    Description:	Linux Mint 13 Maya
    Release:	13
    Codename:	maya
    Linux traveller 3.2.0-32-generic #51-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 26 21:33:09 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
  • Graphics Card and driver

inxi -G
    Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G86 [GeForce 8500 GT] 
               X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: nouveau,vesa,fbdev) Resolution: 1280x1024@51.0hz 
               GLX Renderer: GeForce 8500 GT/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 295.40
  • MDM and Cinnamon versions

mdm 1.0.4 (as displayed by Synaptic)
    Cinnamon 1.4.0 UP3 (as confirmed by Synaptic)
  • gnome-control-center version:

1:3.4.1-1linuxmint1 (as displayed by Synaptic)
  • gnome-screenshot version:

3.4.1-0ubuntu1 (as displayed by Synaptic)
  • keyboard shortcuts to invoke gnome-screenshot:
    see screenshot attached below, please. (You may ignore the first 2 German items in the list. They are identical to the first 2 English items. No idea why they are displayed twice.)
Kind regards,
Karl
--
(keyboard shortcuts to invoke gnome-screenshot)
Last edited by karlchen on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replaced local screenshot file with link to upload on imgur.com
Lifeline
c-m

Post by c-m »

I've installed everything in the updates area, but my kernel version is different to yours.

carl@One ~ $ uname -a
Linux One 3.2.0-26-generic #41-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 14 16:26:01 UTC 2012 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
carl@One ~ $ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Wrestler [Radeon HD 6290] 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 driver: fglrx Resolution: 1024x600@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6290 Graphics GLX Version: 4.2.11903 - CPC
carl@One ~ $ 
I have the same MDM and Cinnamon version as you have listed above.

Still i have the problem that PrtSc SysRq is producing out of date screen shots.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, c-m.

I cannot tell whether Linux kernel 3.2.0-32-generic vs. Linux kernel 3.2.0-26-generic might make the difference. Cannot remember whether screenshots were created when this machine ran Linux kernel 3.2.0-26-generic. If screenshots had displayed outdated screen states then I would remember. So I tend to think that the problem is independent of the kernel version. But who knows?
And I cannot go back to Linux kernel 3.2.0-26-generic, because the oldest kernel on my disk is Linux kernel 3.2.0-30-generic.

Hm, just a desperate idea and perhaps a little bit foolish, because no-one (here or in the other thread) has ever asked about it or mentioned it: Have you installed the cinnamon-applet-screenshot v1.5 from this ppa by any chance? => Cinnamon Extras at Launchpad

Kind regards,
Karl
Lifeline
c-m

Post by c-m »

Nope I haven't installed that, as the screen shot functionality should work by default.

I'll just wait for an update. There seem to be a fair few people with the problem, so I expect it shouldn't take too long.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, c-m.

Hm, having just experienced the weird side effects which missing software packages can have in quite a different context, [1] - [2], I wonder whether (a) missing software package(s) might be the source of trouble here as well :?:

Cheers,
Karl
Lifeline
zerozero

Re: Screenshot app and amd/ati issues

Post by zerozero »

c-m,
i splitted these posts from http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 76#p637376 because (as you well know http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 24#p638373 the problems are different)

first of all: please don't hijack topics with different issues :)

second: in the topic you linked above (although a bit confuse because several users report several issues most of the time unrelated) one thing we can see: there's a clear problem with the screenshot utility in amd/ati systems: it's like it's taking a shoot from the past :shock:

i don't have any amd system to debug this, in that topic i don't see clear reports to help either and i'm afraid this attitude
c-m wrote:Nope I haven't installed that, as the screen shot functionality should work by default.
doesn't help either.

i'm sorry if the post seems a bit harsh, honestly is not my intention 8)
Delirium

Re: Screenshot app and amd/ati issues

Post by Delirium »

I solved the problem with uninstalling the proprietary ATI/AMD drivers under system settings. Since this it is working fine.

Return to “Software & Applications”