smbfs is a must.

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

smbfs is a must.

Post by JAK »

I had all sorts of errors trying to play any multimedia files from a Windows share. Once I installed smbfs, all was well after that so I can play all my files sitting on a Windows box. Smbfs is in the Ubuntu repo, but it would make more sense to have it installed automatically during LM install to give that "everything works out of the box" a little extra umph.
Fred

Re: smbfs is a must.

Post by Fred »

JAK,

I have a better solution. Don't run Windows, then you won't have a problem that needs solving. :-)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :-)

Fred
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Re: smbfs is a must.

Post by JAK »

Fred wrote:JAK,

I have a better solution. Don't run Windows, then you won't have a problem that needs solving. :-)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :-)

Fred
:P Point taken. Actually, I am slowly getting my family used to Linux. Everyone has there own computer in their bedroom, but there is a common computer in the family room that gets a lot of mileage, mostly for websurfing. I put Mint on that machine and nobody has mentioned a thing to me about it. I guess as long as FireFox is there, they are happy. I use Linux most of the time on my own computer, but there are times when Windows is useful for lack of certain software available in Linux. I have two computers side-by-side one Linux, the other Windows. I use one of those keyboard/mouse/monitor switches so I don't have to bother with dual booting.

My file/printer server is still Windows only because I also run an FTP server for my personal use in case I'm not home and need to download something from that machine. The problem is, there doesn't seem to be an easy to use (read GUI) FTP server for Linux that is along the quality of Cerberus (http://www.cerberusftp.com/) for Windows.

Another problem that keeps me from switching everyone in my house to Linux (particularly my son) is the lack of parental control along the lines of limiting session time. I currently use ComputerTime (http://www.softwaretime.com/) for Windows which works great and has nice features such as adding "time tokens" for extended use. Also, my son likes to play some of those online games that needs to be installed under Windows.

Seriously, there is a whole lot of software missing from the Linux library, particularly the GUI stuff, which is a major contributor I'm sure that keeps people from dropping Windows entirely.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”