"please select a root (/) partition before proceeding"

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
doukkali03

"please select a root (/) partition before proceeding"

Post by doukkali03 »

Hi folks, :D
I have tried to install Debian Mint but was stuck in the first stages when it gave "please select a root (/) partition before proceeding" message several times.
I cannot move forward even if I click on the partition.
I am desktop with Windows Xp on it. I used a bootable Debian mint DVD.
Any helps?
thanks
sagirfahmid3

Re: "please select a root (/) partition before proceeding"

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Easy. Do this:
1.When you come to the screen that says "Do you want to install alongside Windows XP?" or "Something else", click on "Something else".
2.Make 2 partitions--1 swap partition with 1GB, and 1 root partition with the space you allocated.
3.There is a drop down menu when you edit the partitions, for the root partition, select the mount point as "/"{slash}<---this means "root"

Proceed with the installation as usual.
Hope that helps.
doukkali03

Post by doukkali03 »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:Easy. Do this:
1.When you come to the screen that says "Do you want to install alongside Windows XP?" or "Something else", click on "Something else".
2.Make 2 partitions--1 swap partition with 1GB, and 1 root partition with the space you allocated.
3.There is a drop down menu when you edit the partitions, for the root partition, select the mount point as "/"{slash}<---this means "root"

Proceed with the installation as usual.
Hope that helps.
Thanks for your replay. There is no screen that says "Do you want to install alongside Windows XP?" may be you have a different version of Mint Debian
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

* Moved to LMDE forum

You need to specify the partition to be used as "/". Try right-clicking and editing it to change the details.
DaveJ61

Post by DaveJ61 »

No, please be very careful otherwise you are going to over-write or damage your XP. It seems maybe that you other guys might not have installed this. I know a fair amount about linux, and this is not a very friendly install as it will throw you to gparted (a partition editor) - dangerous unless you know what you are doing.
Please read this blog I found, which highlights this and other issues concerning Mint Debian:-

http://mylinuxramblings.wordpress.com/2 ... essions-2/

Personally, I would try one of the Mint 13 versions, such as the Cinnamon or Mate varieties. These are much more user friendly and I have easily installed it alongside Windows 7.

Have fun...
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Do not resurrect support threads older than 6 months, outdated information can cause issues with newer releases.
in the forum rules http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83314

Return to “LMDE Archive”