Installed Cinnamon, Got GnomeShell-HELP PLEASE!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
childe joseph

Installed Cinnamon, Got GnomeShell-HELP PLEASE!

Post by childe joseph »

Hi I just installed #!crunchbang Debian derivitive based also on Debian testing. I wanted to install Cinnamon so I'm using LMDE Repository. No problems during installation with synaptic. In the terminal I ran>>> sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager. Output says, I have gnome-session and gnome-session-fallback, and my native openbox-session. I thought it was just reading Cinnamon as Gnome. So I logged into the Gnome session, and sure enough it was Gnome Shell, and believe me it was UGGGGLY in it's pure form! Does anybody here know what I might be missing? I'd like to use Cinnamon, been using it on Ubuntu for the last year. And it doesn't appear anyone is using it with #!crunchbang, none that I can find anyway. Which is even more of a good reason to get it running. Any help is appreciated :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwwgateway

Re: Installed Cinnamon, Got GnomeShell-HELP PLEASE!

Post by cwwgateway »

So you added the LMDE repository (deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import)? And then you opened synaptic, searched cinnamon, and installed the "cinnamon" package? If this is the case, and you are running pure debian testing, then Cinnamon should work. I would make sure you have installed muffin and any packages that cinnamon recommends. Note that it is possible that installing Cinnamon will bring in gnome-shell and/or gnome-session, but it should also bring in cinnamon. Try installing mint-meta-debian-cinnamon.
childe joseph

Re: Installed Cinnamon, Got GnomeShell-HELP PLEASE!

Post by childe joseph »

After working on this for a few hours and breaking synaptic a little bit. I found a few .debs built for "Wheezy". One thing that was strange though was in synaptic if I filtered by "section", the Cinnamon package was in the "Gnome" section. And if I filtered by origin Cinnamon was not under >>>"deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import" even though it orginates from the LMDE repo, because the Cinnamon package was not there til I added it. Anyway I'm running Cinnamon on #!CrunchBang Linux. But thanks for the help @cwwgateway. This was always a good community, I ran Isadora for a couple years. Solid as a rock she was.

Return to “Chat about Linux”