Keyboard died, now no bootup with new keyboard (solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NissanNut

Keyboard died, now no bootup with new keyboard (solved)

Post by NissanNut »

My linux mint 13 was working perfect. My ps2 keyboard finally died. I powered off and added a new usb keyboard and now it will not boot up. The keyboard is good. I can access BIOS. But linux will not boot up. Its stuck on the grub page.

It says use up down to select which entry is highlighted. I get 4 choices on menu but cannot select any.

The keyboards are not responding.

How do I change linux to use new usb keyboard instead of ps2 style? or is it something else?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dixonstalbert
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Keyboard died, now no bootup with new keyboard

Post by dixonstalbert »

Did you try starting with your mint install disk?

If you can get it running, I think running initramfs might reconfigure startup for usb keyboard. I do not remember syntax, as I usually use 'Boot-Repair' ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/files/ ) which may also fix your problem

Also you might want to research grub2 kernel flags to see if there is one to force usb keyboard.

Sorry these are just guesses until someone gives you exact answer...

good luck
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

dixonstalbert wrote:grub2 kernel flags to see if there is one to force usb keyboard
If there's no keyboard, how can you enter kernel parameters?
NissanNut wrote:can access BIOS
Enable legacy keyboard support in BIOS.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
NissanNut

Post by NissanNut »

Yes the live CD worked. Keyboard was fine there. I do not know what to change. :oops:

I changed keyboard support in the bios from "OS" to "BIOS" and now it works!!! But is this normal? Do I have to do something else to get the "OS" to control keyboard? Or is it fine like this?

Thanks!!!!
NissanNut

Post by NissanNut »

dixonstalbert wrote:Did you try starting with your mint install disk?

If you can get it running, I think running initramfs might reconfigure startup for usb keyboard. I do not remember syntax, as I usually use 'Boot-Repair' ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/files/ ) which may also fix your problem

Also you might want to research grub2 kernel flags to see if there is one to force usb keyboard.

Sorry these are just guesses until someone gives you exact answer...

good luck
I will try this. Thanks!!! The BIOS edit got me back up for now.

Return to “Beginner Questions”