[SOLVED] [Maya] - How to make Terminal to display 256 colors

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jmiranda

[SOLVED] [Maya] - How to make Terminal to display 256 colors

Post by jmiranda »

Hello everyone

I need your help, please. After running this command

Code: Select all

infocmp $TERM
I've noticed this entry

colors#8, cols#80, it#8, lines#24, pairs#64,
and I think that's the reason why tput colors returns 8

I would like to know if there is a proper way to change the colors entry to 256, if it is safe to do so or what problems would it cause?

Thanks in advanced!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: [Maya 64bits] - How to make Terminal to display 256 colo

Post by xenopeek »

Open your system's text editor (e.g., Gedit, Pluma, or Kate) and in a new file put the following line:

export TERM="xterm-256color"
Save the file as .bashrc (note the dot at the beginning) in your user's home folder. In your file manager you'll have to press Ctrl+H at a later stage to show hidden files, to see file again.

tput colors will now return 8.

Edit: tput colors will of course now return 256, or what was the point of doing this :)
jmiranda

Re: [SOLVED] [Maya] - How to make Terminal to display 256 co

Post by jmiranda »

Vincent, thanks for your help. Now tput returns 256 :)

Edit:
tput colors will of course now return 256, or what was the point of doing this :)
I was trying to install CSApprox plugin for spf13-vim when I got this message "CSApprox skipped; terminal only has 8 colors, not 88/256", then I narrowed the problem down to this option, that's how I got here, thanks por your help :D

Return to “Other topics”