Partitions showing double

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Zyzz

Partitions showing double

Post by Zyzz »

Hi,

I installed LMDE a few months ago then edited fstab to have my other partitions mounted as well (not on auto).
Now when I open Nemo/Caja/Nautilus I see the partitions double (the last 3 Datenbank, TAUSCH, Filme).

Here's a screenshot:
caja_partitions.png
Does anyone know what caused this? Any more info needed? If you know a topic about that please link it. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Partitions showing double

Post by xenopeek »

Can you share the contents of your /etc/fstab file? And the output of:

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l
Zyzz

Post by Zyzz »

fstab

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc	/proc	proc	defaults	0	0
# /dev/sda3
UUID=dcb1e959-1990-42fc-9048-4bf1856aca9a	/					ext4	rw,errors=remount-ro	0	1
# /dev/sdc3
UUID=25e3e9d2-c84b-47f7-9790-9c241cee3172	/home				ext4	defaults				0	2
# /dev/sda4
UUID=dc741f26-025e-4910-838b-daa05562c925	/media/LMDE\040SSD	ext4	defaults				0	2
# /dev/sdb2
UUID=9a8aafa9-9821-4240-a58c-374a756d32c3	/media/Datenbank	ext4	noauto,user,defaults	0	2
# /dev/sdb3
UUID=8804-0168								/media/TAUSCH		vfat	noauto,user,uid=1000,umask=0022		0	0
# /dev/sdd1
UUID=77cc2456-e876-49c5-9697-ca650dfbdb37	/media/Filme		ext4	noauto,user,defaults	0	2
parted (wasn't installed):

zyzz@zyzz-pc:~$ sudo parted -l
Model: ATA SAMSUNG SSD 830 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 128GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  106MB   105MB   primary  ntfs         boot
 2      106MB   62,9GB  62,8GB  primary  ntfs
 3      62,9GB  83,9GB  21,0GB  primary  ext4
 4      83,9GB  128GB   44,1GB  primary  ext4

Model: ATA ST3300620AS (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 300GB

Number  Start   End    Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  105GB  105GB   primary  ntfs         boot
 2      105GB   268GB  163GB   primary  ext4
 3      268GB   300GB  32,0GB  primary  fat32        lba

Model: ATA WDC WD1002FBYS-0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 1000GB

Number  Start   End     Size   Type     File system  Flags
 3      30,1GB  1000GB  970GB  primary  ext4

Model: ATA Hitachi HDP72505 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdd: 500GB

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
 1      32,3kB  500GB  500GB  primary  ext4
Thanks. :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I'm not sure, but /media is for mounting removable storage devices. /mnt is where you would normally mount internal hard disks with /etc/fstab. Perhaps this is causing some duplication? Also note that you have /dev/sda4 mounted as "LMDE SSD" in /media, and hence it is showing the remove device icon next to its name in the file manager's sidebar. I'd think unmounting everything from /media, moving the folders there to /mnt and updating /etc/fstab to mount on /mnt instead of /media may possibly resolve this.
Zyzz

Post by Zyzz »

Now the partitions are all gone from the sidebar. Only the 2 Windows partitions not mentioned in fstab are showing.
When I open Caja as admin I have the 3 double partitions showing once and being mounted (which should not be if I understand the fstab correctly).
A "sudo umount -a" makes them disappear as well (and some error about not removable devices.... lucky me linux is smarter than me here *g*)
A "mount -a" mounts my LMDE partition and nothing else (as it should be). The 3 partitions are now showing in the admin Caja ready to be mounted via click but not in Caja without admin rights. (Nemo/Nautilus same).
Here a screenshot ("Print" seems to be bugged, I got several different screenshots, first only my background then firefox, then only a few windows and finally the correct one (after a few Cinnamon restarts):
comparison.png
In the screenshot I unmounted TAUSCH. I finally know now what the "double" symbol was representing. :)

Any clue? :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Mounting in /mnt is perhaps not the best option for noauto. File managers don't show unmounted devices there. Not sure how to get it do what you want. Moving it here, as I think this is more fstab related than desktop environment.

Am I making a worse mess of this? :shock:
Zyzz

Post by Zyzz »

Oh ok. Well I can revert that anytime. :)
But why is LMDE SSD not showing which is on auto mount?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Automatically mounted partitions aren't shown, unless you mount them in /media as you previously did. The partition is mounted and you can access the files at /mnt, so why would you want to see the partition in the sidebar as you aren't going to unmount it as you would with removable devices that are normally mounted in /media.
Zyzz

Post by Zyzz »

That makes sense. For practical purposes I will put that back to media then again or put the folder to the sidebar which would be the "cleaner" solution. :)

EDIT: Linux doesn't shut down harddrives that aren't used anyway right? So I could automount them all and use "folders" to access them instead of the harddrive symbol. They are all build in anyway.

A bit offtopic. Do you know if there's an auto shutdown for idle hdds like Win7 has? (Less power consumption, noise and longer life if not started several times a day. I use these drives only rarely.)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Folder in the sidebar is indeed more neat solution. Also, they didn't write that functionality for the sidebar for nothing :wink:

I haven't fiddled with power management much, as I'm not running a laptop. But I think if you idle your computer it will power down devices such as hard disks.
Zyzz

Post by Zyzz »

I now moved everything to /mnt and have it automounted. I think I need to get used to that but ok.

At the moment the drives aren't powering themselves down (I could hear that as under Windows I notice the noise difference). Maybe that gets implemented to LMDE sometime in the future. (Or I find a program that does that for me.)

Thanks for your help. :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

hdparm is a tool for configuring power management on hard disks. See heading "Disk Power Management" here: https://lesswatts.org/tips/disks.php
Zyzz

Post by Zyzz »

Ah cool. The same program I found via googling. But it was a bit too much to read for today for me so I just bookmarked it. :D
http://info4admins.com/tips-to-spindown ... or-ubuntu/

Return to “LMDE Archive”