How to install LinuxMint (KDE) from a DVD or USB?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Vrsabha

How to install LinuxMint (KDE) from a DVD or USB?

Post by Vrsabha »

Dear friends,

I am trying to switch from Ubuntu 12.04. to LinuxMint KDE. However, I have faced a problem during installation. I downloaded ISO file and created USB installation stick. But, I couldn't complete the installation (within Windows). When advised to reboot, the screen became black, giving me two options 1) Windows XP and 2) LinuxMint. I highlighted LinuxMint end tapped Enter. However, I got information that installation couldn't be completed because ISO file was not found. Being a newbie, this is a big puzzle for me. How to create a bootable installation DVD? Also, what is the difference between installation 'within Windows' and 'installation alongside Windows'? (For same reasons I'd like to keep XP).

Thank you in anticipation.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
odo5435

Re: How to install LinuxMint (KDE) from a DVD or USB?

Post by odo5435 »

Vrsabha wrote: I downloaded ISO file and created USB installation stick.
What program did you use to create the stick? In my experience, and regardless of what others have said, the only USB flash drive method I've found that successfully installs Linux in general, and Mint in particular, is UNetbootin. The program and instructions on how to use it can be downloaded from Sourceforge.
Vrsabha wrote:what is the difference between installation 'within Windows' and 'installation alongside Windows'?
Installation "within Windows" means that Linux Mint is installed in your existing Windows OS and can be run in a window within Windows. Installation requires a program like "Mint4Win". Instructions on that process can be found at this How-To Geek page. Personally, I've not used that method and cannot comment on its effectiveness because I've always considered the option to be too messy and non-committal to the process. Also, I could never be certain that using any alternative OS within Windows would provide a true example of its performance.

Installation "alongside Windows" means you are presented with the option to choose (or 'boot into') either Linux or Windows as your OS each time you power up your computer. Both OSs are on your hard disk and either is easily selected at boot-up. This "dual booting" option is very easy to instal if you're prepared to accept the preferred options as presented during the installation process. One of the beautiful but quirky Linux-only aspects of this method, IMHO, is that you can still access your Windows data files (not applications) using Linux whereas Windows refuses to recognise data stored in Linux.

It is worth your time to do a little research about partitions and partitioning beforehand. When I initially installed Ubuntu a few years ago I blindly blundered forward accepting the highlighted options as they were presented during the process. I lost no data and while I continued to use Ubuntu there were few problems. Linux Mint, however, goes about the upgrade process a little differently and without partitioning the hard drive (or backing up) when installing or upgrading there is a possibility of data loss (to which I can personally testify).
Vrsabha

Post by Vrsabha »

Dear friend, than you very much for your valuable advice and your time. I used USB Installer to create a bootable USB, but is a lousy piece of software. I have just tried UNetbootin, but it doesn't have the latest versions of LinuxMint 13. It seems that ordering a bootable (live) disc is the best option. Thank you for recommending installation 'alongside Windows'. Now, I am convinced it is better than within Windows.

Warm greetings from cold Bosnia (Sarajevo)! :)
odo5435

Post by odo5435 »

Vrsabha wrote: I have just tried UNetbootin, but it doesn't have the latest versions of LinuxMint 13
Sorry, it's taken me a couple of days to get back to this. You can use UNetbootin to instal any version of an Operating System that you can download. Just download the .iso file of the Linux OS that you want to try and remember where you saved it to. Then open UNetbootin and click on the 'Diskimage' button. This will allow you to navigate to where you saved the .iso file and will instal it on your flash drive.
Screenshot - UNetbootin.png
Saves the cost of purchasing a LiveCD and there is no waiting for delivery. Plus there is the bonus that, if for any reason you don't like what you see, you can always re-format the flash drive and try something else.

Return to “Beginner Questions”