computer freezes randomly

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
enthalpy

computer freezes randomly

Post by enthalpy »

My computer 'hard' freezes (i.e., the only way to get out is to do a hard reset by hitting the power switch), where the num/cap/scroll locks keys don't even work. This happens randomly when I browse the Internet on Firefox. It doesn't seem to happen when the PCI Express wireless adapter is disconnected. I am using a TP-Link WDN4800 wireless adapter with whatever default driver is already installed on Linux Mint (I did not install any additional drivers). I added the line

Code: Select all

options ath9k nohwcrypt=1
to /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf since (see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1970955) I was getting max speeds of 10 KiB/s without that line added.

Frankly, I'm not sure whether it is due to my wireless adapter or some kind of Firefox plug-in causing my computer to freeze... but it is definitely related to Internet access since my computer is stable with the wireless adapter removed without Internet access.

Edit: Edit: Never mind. The syslog actually didn't record anything when the system froze.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tcc

Re: computer freezes randomly

Post by tcc »

I had a similar problem the other day. It was similar by the fact I had a "hard" freeze whilst I was browsing with Firefox. I am not aware of the cause, and would like to find out.
I would like to keep an eye on this, to see if there is any resolution.
Jamesc359

Post by Jamesc359 »

Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration on Firefox?
Edit, Preferences, select the Advanced tab and uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available".

Are you using the latest drivers for your video card? The latest proprietary drivers are usually the best to use.

Have you tried using another browser to see if it's related to your network adapter?

Can you connect to the Internet through other means to see if it still happens?

Did you tested your RAM?
Tap the shift key during boot and select Memory Test (memtest86+)

Is your power supply up to the challenge of powering your computer? Modern video cards do draw a lot of power. Please note many generic PSU's aren't capable of delivering their rated wattage.

You said usually, when else does it happen?
enthalpy

Post by enthalpy »

Oops...forgot to edit my post. It actually happens even when I'm not browsing Firefox. As long as the wireless adapter is plugged into its PCI-express slot, my computer randomly crashes. I checked the memory, power supply, and everything and everything seems to be fine. I am using integrated graphics on my i5 so graphics should not be an issue. I spent too much time trying to solve the issue so I gave up and went back to Ubuntu (with cinnamon) and everything is fine again.

I am still unsure what the problem is though but I am posting an update just in case it might help somebody else...
recursor94

Post by recursor94 »

I believe this is exactly the same problem that I am having

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=114250

Unfortunately nobody seems to have found a solution. But I hope this comes to the attention of the Mint team that this is a very real issue.
docbrown25

Post by docbrown25 »

I was having a similar problem and seemed to have fixed it.

I installed this newer kernel and it completely fixed my problems:
http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/06/how-to- ... 44-in.html

What computer are you using?
Superdarda

Post by Superdarda »

Hi,
I've installed the new Kernel as you suggested it ans that simply went worse. The boot is slower, i've lost all the wireless settings and other things. How do i get back to the Kernel previously used? and does anyone have other suggestions to solve the freezing issue?
Thanks
Roland
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Roland »

I had random freezes with LM13 64-bit as well on my new pc, until I installed the 32-bit verson.

Return to “Hardware Support”