Linux MInt 13 Update Manager not working in KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jackmg

Linux MInt 13 Update Manager not working in KDE

Post by jackmg »

After I intalled the KDE desktop in Linux Mint 13, the Update manager fails to run. Nothing happens when I click on Update Manager in the Mint Menu or click on the Update icon in the panel notification area. The notification icon does show an alert when updates are available and the right-click menu options appear but do not function. I can get updates using the terminal commands. I also can get updates if I log out of KDE and log back in under the Cinnamon desktop. when I renter KDE, the update icon shows a check and says it is uptodate when I hove the mouse pointer over the icon. But still when I click on it try to open Update Manager from the menu, nothing happens. How do I fix this problem. Update Manager works fine in KDe on another computer I use. Thanks for any advice. :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
coopertronic

Re: Linux MInt 13 Update Manager not working in KDE

Post by coopertronic »

I've got the same problem. Update works on my laptop but not on my desktop. Got round the problem by using sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade in the console. Still getting the same proble with the update manager though. It won't do anything after the pasword has been entered. just nothing happens, at all.

What logs should we post?
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 »

works fine for me.

When you click it, do you get a dialogue box to enter a password ?
coopertronic

Post by coopertronic »

Yes I enter the password, hit ok then nothing at all happens. I also found this morning, that software manage hangs when I try to search for software to install. I'm going to try synaptics, see if that's boinked as well. Synaptics package manager is working fine. Just tried it.

Something is stopping Update & Software managers from working. I'm going to try to find a sloution, failing that, reinstall as a last resort.
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 »

In the meantime you can use sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade in the console.

You could also, in synaptics, try uninstall mintupdate , update manager core and whatever other update manager is installed (i have the KDE version also...an then reinstall them via synaptics
jackmg

Post by jackmg »

Well, I finally solved this problem. After reinstalling MintUpdate from the Synaptic Package Manager, I noticed that the KDE Update Manager package and its related dependencies were not installed. Once i installed that bevy of files from Synaptic, the shield update icon in the notification area of the panel finally worked, as did the Update Manager program launched from the menu. I'm guessing it was a flubbed installation of those components when I initially added KDE to my existing Cinnamon configuration.
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

Please add [solved] to the subject line of your original post if your issue could indeed be resolved. That way, people can see where help is still needed and others where to look for solutions.
Sonno

Post by Sonno »

I encountered the same problem, but this solution doesn't work any more.
On a clean install of Linux mint 13 KDE( 32 bit), the update manager 4.4.1 is installed. It is impossible to reinstall it, because it doesn't exit any more in the packages:
http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main/m/mintupdate/
So if you remove it in Synaptic Package Manager, you can't install it back. And if you try just to reinstall it, an error is shown.

This is how I (very little experience with linux) solved it:
Open terminal and type: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade ( this does apparently the same thing that the update-manager does)
On every change I pressed Y ( among other things :the update-manager_4.4.4 is then installed)
After this is done, it is displayed that some packages are not installed, there are being hold back. (These packages seem to be essential, because the new update-manager_4.4.4 doesn't work without them.)
Open Synaptic Package Manager and click in the left down corner on 'Status' then in the left upper corner 'installed( upgrade)' and install them all.
Update Manager 4.4.4. should work now without any problem.
zacharysonicfast

Post by zacharysonicfast »

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... _amd64.deb
Connection failed

W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... _amd64.deb
Connection failed

Each and every update url, especially in synaptic, fails.

Running Mint 13, 64 bit, KDE

I tried Mint 14 and synaptic works perfectly, but Mint 14 is *considerably* slower than Mint 13. So I went back to mint 13 even though I can't update anything.

Even Apt-get update doesn't work - returns same failed to connect error.
zacharysonicfast

Ok, I clicked on the 2 urls I posted. Got an error "No longer provides core utils"

Did Mint 13 makers forget to pay their bill or something????

If it doesn't get fixed soon, anyone know of a similar distro I can get and use that works??

The main reason I want it is to get a program called MACCHANGER and any security updates.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

if you click on those 2 links with your browser you see that they exist and are downloadable, so the problem has to be with your internet connection or with the way you have the system configured.

and the acid remarks about the bills are unnecessary and won't get you further help.
zacharysonicfast

zerozero wrote:if you click on those 2 links with your browser you see that they exist and are downloadable, so the problem has to be with your internet connection or with the way you have the system configured.

and the acid remarks about the bills are unnecessary and won't get you further help.
Bills? Acid remarks? I do not mean to say anything like that. Just frustrated here that it used to work and now it doesn't.

I click on them and cannot download anything.

Is there a way to reset back to defaults without losing much or R/R?

Mint is a good distro for the most part. But I, like many others, do want it to work as expected.

I typically do not fiddle with the configuration much. Just enough to get by for my needs. The reason is that I do not know how to fix it if I mess it up.

3+ years of using some flavor of Linux and I am still quite green.

Even if I temporarily have to switch distros until things get fixed I still plan on using Mint.

I popped in a new ssd drive and tried mint 14. It had no problems getting updates. It is, however, considerably slower than mint 13 so I popped 13 back in.

I did notice that from time to time Mint 13 freezes up my rig. I restart and it usually fixes whatever problem it had.

Right now, my dvd burner doesn't work and can't make or play any disks. It doesn't work in windows either. So, distro hopping is difficult for me at best.

I chose Mint because of the 64 bit and the large amount of available software. I was using a different distro before but it doesn't support 64 bit natively (without pae) and typically didn't have the software choices that Mint does.

I am the kind of person who will use whatever works best to get the job done. Much like car shopping. Some are ardent GM fans, some are Ford fans. I will pick whichever does what I need with the least amount of problems. GM, Ford, Chrysler.
This is how I go through life. For me, an OS is just a tool for me to use. , btw, I hate windows. Easy to use but has too many problems with it.

I believe that Mint suits my requirements quite nicely. Just wish it had a 'recall' for one of the big problems I have. Recall meaning some easy way to reset or circumvent the configuration or have a blanket default setting so I can do what I need.

I wonder if a 64 bit Mint has a compatibility mode for 32 bit software like Windows has without having to install a 32 bit Mint version. Backward compatibility if you will.

Will doubling my ram from 4gb to 8gb help with any of these problems?
Will adding discard to fstab swapfile listing setting help any?

I can only take a stab in the dark here since I do not know much about how to fix linux.
zacharysonicfast

OK, got it working.

I went back in synaptic history to the last date I installed anything. I uninstalled that item.

I restarted twice and finally got online.

I launched synaptic and reloaded the repo list.

Worked like a charm. Only a very few failed items in the list. So I chose one item to upgrade. It worked.

The problem was with anonproxy. It appears that it would not let me connect.

I will do more testing here in a bit (lunch time now)...
zacharysonicfast

It seems to be working now. I did an apt-get upgrade. It upgraded a bunch of things.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

very glad you got it working and that you found out that was the proxy messing out with the updates :wink:
zacharysonicfast

Feel free to <solved> this thread if desired :-)

Now I have to figure out how to do a system wide dns server address instead of the one the isp uses...

And a system wide proxy (completely anonymous and free one of course)

Return to “Software & Applications”