grub not found message locks whole computer

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
johnorford

grub not found message locks whole computer

Post by johnorford »

I am using an ACER Aspire M1610 (bought to help a friend) WINXP SP3. I made a 17Gb partition for WIN7 and found this computer couldn't accept it. Then I formatted it ext3 (using Acronis) and installed Ubuntu, which was puzzling for an old newbie, but worked until I lost my Internet, which still worked on XP. I then thought to try Linux Mint so I reformatted the partition again ext3 and put in the Mint DVD. I got "error 3200 reading sector 457042 invalid or corrupt kernel image". I realise this could be a bad download or a bad image file. I then set BIOS for both 1st and 2nd boots to HD to get to XP and got "error:file ' /boot/grub not found" followed by grub rescue. Now I get this message for whatever I do with BIOS and WINXP will not load. I re-formatted the partition again (still ext3) but the result is the same. The computer is unusable. I fear I might be out of my depth with UNIX, as working with strings is puzzling. I need to get dear old XP back again - yes, I need a new computer, but first things first. I would be very grateful for any help anyone can give me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: grub not found message locks whole computer

Post by wayne128 »

You need to use WinXP CD to repair MBR.

Follow these easy steps to repair a damaged master boot record in Windows XP.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthepro ... airmbr.htm
johnorford

Re: grub not found message locks whole computer

Post by johnorford »

Thank you very much - good clear instructions.

Return to “Open Chat”