We need more testers to the new incoming repo (how-to)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
bigbenaugust

Re: We need more testers to the new incoming repo (how-to)

Post by bigbenaugust »

oh boy, I just did this to my office machine. :)

Code: Select all

964 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 198 not upgraded.
Need to get 589 MB of archives.
After this operation, 17.0 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 
Here's to hoping it doesn't destroy my box. :)
bigbenaugust

Post by bigbenaugust »

A round with apt-get and a round with aptitude later and everything still works (after I did a dpkg-reconfigure openafs-modules-dkms so it would recompile the AFS modules for 3.2.0-3). Yay!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

bigbenaugust,
one thing worries me though :D
is this the output of apt-get upgrade?
bigbenaugust

Post by bigbenaugust »

zerozero wrote:bigbenaugust,
yes. I then hit "y" and let it go.
bigbenaugust

Post by bigbenaugust »

bigbenaugust wrote:
zerozero wrote:bigbenaugust,
yes. I then hit "y" and let it go.
In fact, this is the current output of apt-get upgrade:

baugust@vpue-baugust-lt:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
[sudo] password for baugust: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  apt evince evince-common gir1.2-clutter-1.0 gir1.2-evince-3.0
  gnome-dictionary gnome-sushi gtk2-engines libclutter-1.0-0
  libclutter-gst-1.0-0 libclutter-gtk-1.0-0 libcogl-pango0 libgdict-1.0-6
  libpurple0 mint-artwork-debian pidgin pidgin-data poppler-data vlc vlc-nox
  vlc-plugin-notify vlc-plugin-pulse
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 22 not upgraded.
baugust@vpue-baugust-lt:~$ 
and here is my sources.list:

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import incoming
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming testing main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/multimedia testing main non-free
Machine seems to work fine.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i'm glad and surprised at the same time that it is still working :o
lmde has to/should be maintained with dist-upgrade/full-upgrade (depending on the tool you use)
bigbenaugust

Post by bigbenaugust »

zerozero wrote:i'm glad and surprised at the same time that it is still working :o
lmde has to/should be maintained with dist-upgrade/full-upgrade (depending on the tool you use)
Please hold... if I have to turn the Mac on to reply, then I obviously did something bad to my laptop. :)

*switches windows to run apt-get dist-upgrade*

I get in the habit of using aptitude for everything because once upon a time, I thought aptitude was the only way to search for packages. But I guess I can use apt-cache for that and remember to do a dist-upgrade like in aptosid or siduction.

Alright, let me reboot this.
bigbenaugust

Post by bigbenaugust »

Nope-- it's still OK. :mrgreen:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

and do you have a clean output like this :lol:

Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
zerozero@deb-kde ~ $ 
bigbenaugust

Post by bigbenaugust »

Indeed.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Actually, is the necessity to use dist-upgrade in LMDE documented somewhere? Or is that just for switching to incoming?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

1- it's documented in the wounds and scars we got in the early days of lmde :D
2- it's also documented in the systems that crashed and burned because of it :D
3- it's finally documented in the fact that not one rolling release has or recommend any form of partial upgrade (and although lmde can't technical be called a rolling release, these UP updates act like it)
bigbenaugust

Post by bigbenaugust »

This is true.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

zerozero wrote:1- it's documented in the wounds and scars we got in the early days of lmde :D
2- it's also documented in the systems that crashed and burned because of it :D
That's pretty good.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

added a note to the OP about what exactly (hope this time i did it right :shock: ) is incoming.
ringo32

Post by ringo32 »

Is there some new update packs coming? For moment i have pointing my lmde to testing/sid, dont really like the way lmde going into, update packs are ok... every update like fresh install, is so silly...... i dont understand a small rolling distro can have more movement on rolling; and mint has a mucg bigger system they make there self a big job to make huge packs... the same as everytime a new iso install, personally with a good build community with a own testbox app to test on realtime, so the hardware gona watch to, that in most cases a problem vbox hardware is not good for testing , yeah old laptop, i dont have a old laptop or pc :)

i prefer much rolling
ringo32

Post by ringo32 »

Is there some new update packs coming? For moment i have pointing my lmde to testing/sid, dont really like the way lmde going into, update packs are ok... every update like fresh install, is so silly...... i dont understand a small rolling distro can have more movement on rolling; and mint has a mucg bigger system they make there self a big job to make huge packs... the same as everytime a new iso install, personally with a good build community with a own testbox app to test on realtime, so the hardware gona watch to, that in most cases a problem vbox hardware is not good for testing , yeah old laptop, i dont have a old laptop or pc :)

i prefer much rolling
chemicalfan

Post by chemicalfan »

I very much doubt there will be any for months, when the new version of Debian comes out and Testing is unfrozen (thawed? lol)

In terms of true rolling release vs. update packs, in theory update packs have greater stability as it is like a mini-release which is much easier to test against. Rolling release such as Arch tends to be a lot more unstable as there is little testing outside of the "core" packages
sobrus

Post by sobrus »

As far as I know UP6 will be released no later than 2 months from now. Together with new ISO images.

It was discussed in other threads, that fully rolling testing/sid is not a good idea.
Arch repo is rolling "stable", whereas debian testing/sid is just developers playground, not even guaranteed to be working.
Packages can disappear and reappear from testing repo without warning (just have a look at compiz and fglrx).
Last edited by sobrus on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
ringo32

Post by ringo32 »

i do use manjaro arch linux for a few weeks, i must say i dont complaining, there for hardware could with every linux some problems, but the repository is quite good maintained.. they take a snap shot of the arch repository it difference a week, with own develop Test box , boxlt i dont know what that is, the arch ported too test repository they stay there for a week when safe it comes too repository. a few days after update of google-chrome too 22 they have upgraded the chromium 22 too..., its just where you invest you develop in... you see ubuntu each half year a new cycle, and even there is a bug! you are not sure, every half year pushing a new version out is is a very busy job., when you maintained mayby you get weekly some new software and its much easier to test it... but with update pack is stable; thats trhough but i see the update to this machine its over 1 gb, lots of code can even harm your system..... i have pointing now lmde on sid, lets see.. i like debian , i dont want too go arch i gues...,everytime i go back but i dont want to ubuntu reason they hide some hardware support... when i go, then it is too manjaro :) main edition is like lmde but less flexible personally i like flexible... to flexible the distro is bit difficulter then lmde...

its just building a good testing community and a infrastructure to make it easy, made a own testbox that automate crash message to main office could help by some development..

but building huge mass off drivers/software and stuf is more instable to testit constantly on do it on weekly or day based with a good structuur would not stay your system get instable.....
but personally mint could make a structuur like debian...., import-unstable/testing/stable not wrong with it, even import from unstable , but just make a good test community through the blog main website to announce wild attract volunteers i gues with some testbox or app, give a rating i dont see te problem but just vloting on a other semirolling what they did before is very unstable, you will not have a controll over it...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Let's keep on topic about LMDE please. Discussion about other distros, please move to chat.

Return to “LMDE Archive”