Re: Hibernation in Linux mint 13 ? [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

I have a question involving how i can get hibernation on the shutdown menu in Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon. I know it was disabled in newer versions of Ubuntu for i guess it causing problems when some people resume from it. Linux mint 13 being based off it it had to be disabled in too. I have done it via terminal and I can get in and out of it no problems at all. I am also curious to know if it is disabled in Linux Mint Debian Edition also.

Cheers and have a Great day!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Incentive I.C

Re: Hibernation in Linux mint 13 ?

Post by Incentive I.C »

"Last edited by xenopeek on Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved here and changed subject to reflect question is about LMDE"

Oops sorry I mint(ha ha ha! ) to put Linux mint 13 in the title instead of Debian edition.I am talking about the Ubuntu edition

I have already done that so if you could be so kind as to move it back to were it was that would be nice. This question's mainly about the "Maine" edition( ha ha ha that was terrible!) if i need to take the LMDE question out and post it here please tell me.
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

Hibernation is not disabled in any Linux Mint distribution (including LMDE). I would hazard the same is the case with Ubuntu.

In the above mentioned distributions, if you don't see a Hibernate option in the shutdown menu, it's because you don't have a swap partition created or active. Since hibernation will make use of the swap, it needs to exist and be active. If you're not seeing it, it's because linux isn't seeing the swap.
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

"Hibernation is not disabled in any Linux Mint distribution (including LMDE)"
You sure about that?Google "Add hibernate button to Linux Mint 13" and tell me all the search results you get.(okay it technically isn't "disabled" but it is not accessible with out the terminal, its even blanked out in the power options.)

"it's because you don't have a swap partition created or active"
I do have a swap of 3.9G.B(3.7G.B Ram usability for me with 4.0G.B being the max) and it does work as I have seen sore to a 87.5K.B before. Why wouldn't I have a working swap? i did all the default in the installion and I can see the swap is also taking a little of my max hard drive space.

"Since hibernation will make use of the swap, it needs to exist and be active. If you're not seeing it, it's because linux isn't seeing the swap."
Like i said I can hibernate just fine. All i want to do is put it in the shutdown menu so i do not have to type in the terminal command every time i want to hibernate....
axel668

Post by axel668 »

Running Mint 13 XFCE here and it seems to be disabled for me, too. I have an active swap partition (shown in conky) but hibernate is greyed out in xfce4-session-shutdown.
I don't mind though, XFCE can remember the session if you want that and booting is almost as fast as restoring form Hibernate.
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

axel668 wrote:Running Mint 13 XFCE here and it seems to be disabled for me, too. I have an active swap partition (shown in conky) but hibernate is greyed out in xfce4-session-shutdown.
I don't mind though, XFCE can remember the session if you want that and booting is almost as fast as restoring form Hibernate.
How exactly do i get Mint to remember my session. I am using cinnamon but i would also like to know how i can put the XFCE interface(its a nice interface )on my system,too.
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

bump :(
Onsen

Post by Onsen »

Running Linux Mint 13 / Mate.
There is no suspend to disk (hibernation) in the shutdown menu for me either.
I've got 8GB RAM and therefore I gave the Swap partition about 12GB. Turns out that was useless.
asuarezp

Post by asuarezp »

I fixed this problem in this way:
1. I followed the instructions found in http://www.linuxandlife.com/2012/06/how ... -mint.html
2. I made sure there were no extra white spaces at the end of the lines.
3. I executed "sudo update-grub".

Good luck!
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

asuarezp wrote:I fixed this problem in this way:
1. I followed the instructions found in http://www.linuxandlife.com/2012/06/how ... -mint.html
2. I made sure there were no extra white spaces at the end of the lines.
3. I executed "sudo update-grub".

Good luck!
I understand everything except 2
How do you make it so there were no extra spaces after copying and pasting? Turning off some kind of word wrap or did you just write out the whole thing on one line. There is not enough words in the command to not have any extra space after coping and pasting. :?

Thanks for the response!
edcompsci
Level 2
Level 2

Post by edcompsci »

Another forum's post reminded me that you need to be sure that there are no trailing spaces at the end of each line of the file you save.

Now I'd like to know how to make the power options include it as a timeout option.

The file is:

[Re-enable hibernate by default]
Identity=unix-user:*
Action=org.freedesktop.upower.hibernate
ResultActive=yes

saved as:

sudo gedit /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla

Good luck.
www.progave.com
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

edcompsci wrote:Another forum's post reminded me that you need to be sure that there are no trailing spaces at the end of each line of the file you save.

Now I'd like to know how to make the power options include it as a timeout option.

The file is:

[Re-enable hibernate by default]
Identity=unix-user:*
Action=org.freedesktop.upower.hibernate
ResultActive=yes

saved as:

sudo gedit /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla

Good luck.
http://www.progave.com

Thanks a bunch that seemed to have finally fixed the problem!
Cheers
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

It also seems that in Linux mint 14 hibernation is back on as default! I guess enough Ubuntu people caused an uproar about it that it finally came back. Even if it fails to work Linux will tell you the problem and take you back to your session. I think it was silly to have it disabled but it is not mints fault :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”