Soundblaster Recon3D?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
velaxun

Soundblaster Recon3D?

Post by velaxun »

Hi guys, I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff so please, bear with me for a bit. I've dabbled lightly with Ubuntu and decided I would like to try Mint since Unity irritates the heck out of me. I got everything here installed and updated fine but the one problem I have is getting my dedicated sound card to work. When I first installed I had absolutely no sound and noticed that it was defaulting the sound output to my GeForce card, but since I'm not using HDMI audio obviously that wouldn't work for me. I've plugged my speakers into the onboard card which seems to be working fine for now, but I dual boot with Windows 7 which is of course using the Recon card. If I have to I guess I can just switch the cables around every time I boot into Windows or Mint but I'dl rather not. So is anyone aware of a way to get the Recon card working properly with Mint? I've read that the drivers are included in linux kernel 3.5 or something and I did see that my version of Mint 13 is running on 3.2 I believe. Synaptic Package manager shows that I am also up to date on my linux kernel so I'm not sure where to go from there.... should I just wait for the next release of Mint? Or is there something else I can do? Thanks for any help guys.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Soundblaster Recon3D?

Post by remoulder »

I would suggest installing mint 14 when released if you want to use the SB card otherwise use the onboard. Whilst you can install kernel 3.5 on mint 13, many users have had issues inc myself where it has broken USB mouse support.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
velaxun

Post by velaxun »

Sounds good to me, thanks for the answer :D
DesMas

Post by DesMas »

Hi

I have also a SB Recon3D in my system.
I upgraded it lately from Mint 13 to 14 because of the given support in Kernel 3.5.

When I log in I hear for about 2-3secs acoustic noise (should be the login melody) and then its silence again.
Same effect when I try the test for the sound output.

inxi says:

Code: Select all

desmas@desmas-mint ~ $ inxi -A
Audio:     Card-1: Creative Labs Device 0012 driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.25
           Card-2: NVIDIA GK104 HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
Audio settings say:
Bildschirmfoto-Audio-Einstellungen.png
Interesting for me, that only analog stereo is listed.

Does someone have an idea?
bube

Post by bube »

hi guys i've installed mint Maya and kernel 3.8.5 but the SB recon 3D doesn't run i'm able to ear only noise

do you have any suggestion?
brut2333

Post by brut2333 »

my recon 3d quit working and i found a solution ...try this go to sound settings and make sure youre soundcard is selected then

open treminal and type: alsamixer hit enter and scroll until automute is selected then disable automute

worked for me!!!! if it works for you spread the word!!!!!!!

Return to “Hardware Support”