How to Setup a Server

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

How to Setup a Server

Post by webtarget »

I have 3 computers at home. I have Linux Mint 12 on each one. I save everything on my D-Link NAS-343 network storage device.

But, now I'd like to just maintain one version of Linux Mint. Can I put another hard drive on my NAS and install Linux Mint on it and then change the boot order of my computers to Network (I'll have to check if that exists on all of them), so that all 3 computers can boot and run all applications from there? Normally only one of the computers are on, but, what if I turned on 2 computers. Would there be any issue? Is this how to setup a server?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to Setup a Server

Post by webtarget »

I noticed no one has responded to this in months although there have been many views.

Is this question too general and needs specifics? Doesn't make sense to people?

I know all of you are very helpful in answering based on all my other questions. So, if you're reading this, can you tell me what is wrong with my question so I can re-word it?

Thanks.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That is not how you set up a server. What you are describing is called PXE boot. With PXE boot, you have the files required to boot Linux Mint on one computer and using PXE boot you are actually booting Linux Mint on another computer. This is sometimes used when you need to install Linux Mint on a device that has neither a functioning CD/DVD drive nor a functioning USB port. If it does have a network connection and supports PXE boot, you can then set up another computer to keep the Linux Mint installation image and use PXE boot to boot Linux Mint on your crippled device.

Is that what you are trying to do? Then do an Internet search for "linux mint pxe boot" and you should find some hints, like this post: http://techtuxwords.blogspot.nl/2012/01 ... d-nfs.html
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Post by webtarget »

No wonder I couldn't find anything related to what I wanted by searching: setting up a server.

Thanks.

Return to “Networking”