Is Mint going to begin passive key-logging like Canonical?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
midgar
Level 1
Level 1

Is Mint going to begin passive key-logging like Canonical?

Postby midgar » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I recently moved completely away from Ubuntu / Unity (I know that Mint is Ubuntu based) as it appears in their road-map their passive key-logger in Unity is going to be a major privacy concern. Also, personally, I completely disagree with it. Yes, I also know how to disable it, but I don't believe it should be something enabled by default.

Quote from eff.org:
"The new version of [Unity] Dash that comes with Ubuntu 12.10 [...] includes a new legal notice[...] that states that by using [the dash], you automatically agree to send your search term and IP address to a number of third parties."

Is the Mint team planning on doing something similar? From what I've read, I haven't found anything so I'm assuming "no". But I would like to hear some feedback.

Hope this topic isn't a little too "thick" for my first one. It's not supposed to come off as negative in any way. =P

Source: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/p ... data-leaks

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Is Mint going to begin passive key-logging like Canonica

Postby bimsebasse » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:51 pm

Mint doesn't use Unity.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”