Sound does not work again

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tbrownarcher2

Sound does not work again

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

sound use to work not now [was solved but not now solved]

Postby tbrownarcher2 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:55 pm
I'm running linux mint 13 I think it's gnome? on a lenovo machine

When I first installed it the sound worked perfectly on both of my cards one being the motherboard included sound card and the other is a soundblaster card.

Now I can get the sound on the motherboard to work not real well and the sound on the soundblaster does not work . Both sound cards are recognized in system settings/ hardware/sound but when i highlight the soundblaster i can't find the correct digital setting
==========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================
This is the answer that worked and the result of that answer but now it does not work in fact the plug and play was still set active

Re: sound use to work not now

Postby kyphi on Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:46 pm
The most likely cause is a conflict between the two sound devices.
Your best option is to access your BIOS and disable the onboard sound device.

Which Soundblaster card are you using?
kyphi
Level 4
Level 4

the setup did not have an option anywhere to actually disable one sound card nor did it name them but it did have a plug n play option that was not on so i turned it on and my sound card (soundblaster) card works now. I should have thought of something in the bios but i don't always see the obvious ...
thanks very much,
Nate

tbrownarcher2

A TO DISTINGUISH I'M USING CAPS.

THE SOUND DOES NOT WORK NOW AND ALL SETTINGS ARE OK FROM THE LAST TIME IT WAS FIXED i DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO NOW ...... I HOPE I'M NOT BREAKING RULES HERE
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lizbeth

Re: Sound does not work again

Post by lizbeth »

What desktop are you using?

Ok, so you mentioned your system bios, do you know how to access your system bios and disable your onboard sound card? Usually you would press F2 or DEL key when you first turn your computer on to enter the system bios. There should be a setting you can disable the onboard sound card. That is one option to try and might be the second one to try.

The first option is to select the sound device by clicking on the volume control in the task bar and selecting the output device. If this doesn't help then try clicking on the volume control and clicking on the sound settings option. Here you can select not only the output device but the hardware as well. If neither of these options helps you get sound then I would suggest trying to disable the onboard sound card in your system bios.
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

my system is an IBM Lenovo. On it i'm running as operatiing system linux mint 13 cinnamon.

all that you said I have tried
do you know how to access your system bios and disable your onboard sound card?
yes I know how to access my system bios but it has no individual sound card or on board enabling/disabling. What it has is to enable / disable audio services.
The first option is to select the sound device by clicking on the volume control in the task bar and selecting the output device.
I did that already active sound card is the sound blaster added on card
If this doesn't help then try clicking on the volume control and clicking on the sound settings option
these settings are correct the hardware is right
If neither of these options helps you get sound then I would suggest trying to disable the onboard sound card in your system bios.
As i previously noted there is actually no spot in the bios to specificly pick a sound card to disable / enable . the only thing is there is a place to disable / enable audio service i have tried both settings.
When this happened before i enabled a setting which deals with plug n play ...... this time it's already enabled and nothing works ....

==========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

I do find a quirk though
in the sound settings window under the hardware tab the disabled on board sound card is (still disabled) but the icon is highlighted . I'm not sure what that means the soundblaster card is not highlight but when i do highlight it it is still set correct.

Thanks very much,
Nate
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

Yes, when there is no option in the system bios to disable the onboard sound card because the system bios has an auto disable feature when another sound card is present.

When you click on the volume control and then go to Sound Settings make sure the switch in the upper right corner is displaying ON

Also try right clicking on the volume control and make sure that where it says Mute Output and Mute Input they each have an X beside them and not a check mark.
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

Also try right clicking on the volume control and make sure that where it says Mute Output and Mute Input they each have an X beside them and not a check mark.
i cannot find this feature. It's not where you said or something wrong with me??? lol
Thanks,
Nate
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

When I first installed it the sound worked perfectly on both of my cards one being the motherboard included sound card and the other is a soundblaster card.

See, this is the problem. You should not have had sound on both cards ever. Either one card should work or the other. Either there is a setting in the system bios to disable the onboard soundcard or the system bios auto disables the onboard sound card when it recognizes you have installed an additional sound card. These are the only options.

If you did have both sound cards working at one time then you need to go into the system bios and disable the onboard sound card. Keep looking until you find it. If you can't find it, then give me THE EXACT MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER of your computer so I can find the specs and research how to do it so I can tell you exactly how to do it.

The other option is to remove the soundblaster card and install it into a different slot. As silly as that may sound, I have had issue with soundblaster cards before and simply moving them from one slot to another resolved the issue. Don't ask me why, it just does.
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

If you can't find it, then give me THE EXACT MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER of your computer so I can find the specs and research how to do it so I can tell you exactly how to do it.
I would love to know how to research it myself.

system is

IBM Lenovo ThinkCentre
MT-M 8811-WGN
S/N LKBADF8
MOTHER BOARD STUFF
THINKCENTRE
DAYTONA -G
REV : 3.2
L-10965U

Has a Seagate SATA drive ----80 gig
1 gig memory
See, this is the problem. You should not have had sound on both cards ever. Either one card should work or the other. Either there is a setting in the system bios to disable the onboard soundcard or the system bios auto disables the onboard sound card when it recognizes you have installed an additional sound card. These are the only options.
shouldn't plug n play do the work of disableing the on board for me . I can find no SOUND CARD specific line the only thing to do with sound is to disable/ enable sound service
The other option is to remove the soundblaster card and install it into a different slot.
Afraid t move my sound card there are only 2 slots and the other has my network adapter.... afraid i will never get it to work again ... This will be my last resort

.Thanks,
Nate
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

Then disable the sound service in system bios.

Switching the cards does no harm to your system and may correct the problem.

a side note:

Why are you using an add on network card? Isn't there one built in to this machine? Did it fail? If you are having hardware failures with this machine, I wonder how long you have until other things start to fail.
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

Then disable the sound service in system bios.
I did that and did not help
Why are you using an add on network card? Isn't there one built in to this machine? Did it fail? If you are having hardware failures with this machine, I wonder how long you have until other things start to fail.
Actually this machine doesn't seem to have anything but ETHERNET built in. Maybe wireless is there .... i will check later .
I have more success with add on cards than i do with the built in ones ..... I never buy a new computer there is usually something wrong with something on all of them usually not a problem to fix though

Thanks,
Nate
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

You see, I have had many issue with soundblaster cards in the past. And merely moving them to a different slot solves the problem 99% of the time. It's easy to do and does no harm to your computer. This is the fix I recommend. It will most certainly work.

So the network card you are referring to is a wifi card not an ethernet card? No problem then. Switch the cards.
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

I worked on this another time
there still can be no sound card in the bios, only the the feature that reads as ,sound service, .
I flipped the sound card and the network card around in the slots. I have checked and rechecked sound settings and nothing works .
would the built in sound card disable if the add on card were broken????

I think i'm gonnna put the sound card into a different computer and test it and run the on board for a while.

Thanks,
Nate

I have now taken out the sound card . Both sound cards that are built in work they are both unacceptable Analog devices though. neither computer will run the sound blaster . I have another computer that i will try it in tomorrow. It worked not that long ago I'm not convinced that the soundblaster is broken YET.

Thanks,
Nate
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

the sound blaster works in the other computer. but i'm gonna leave it out of the computer we have been talking about. I know that the on board card worked not that long ago so i'm sure it's ok.
it does not work now so there is a setting somewhere. I still after several times going through the bios or setup i cannot find but one sound control which enables and disables sound in general i think. It's not specific toward an onboard or an add on sound card but just the enabling/disabling of the of sound. So now I'm trying to get the onboard working with the setting in the bios set to enable.

Thanks,
Nate
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

This is the only content in my bios relating to sound. the content related to sound is in two places but it's the same thing. Here it is
in the catagory "main" there is 'system summary' under system summary is an item called 'Audio support' this is set to ENABLED
The other item is under "Devices" it is 'Audio Setup' and it's the same thing set to set to 'Enabled" and through this all sound does not work even with the sound blaster card out of the machine using only the on board card
I'm not sure what to do from now ...... if I disable this audio support and audio support and put the add on sound blaster card in it seems to me that it will not work though it don't work either with the audio support set to enable.

I'm terribly confused. It did work before i have no idea why they don't work now

Thanks,
Nate
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

It's called hardware failure. The machine has failed. This is likely the result of having both cards enabled as you mentioned earlier in this post. You fried your system. Try a usb soundcard if you have a usb port.

Return to “Sound”