Is Mint 12 the best Mint ever, better even than 13?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alibro

Is Mint 12 the best Mint ever, better even than 13?

Post by Alibro »

I have been using Linux Mint off and on (mostly on) for a couple of years now and was never 100% convinced about the 'Windows Like' start menu. I always found it a bit of a faff when looking for applications, hunting through the menus and scrolling up and down. I wasn't that keen on Gnome 2 either for the same reasons. I even tried Ubuntu 12.10 but I can't force myself to like Unity. To me it defeats the purpose of making a simple interface which requires more mouse clicks than before.
Then along came Mint 12 (Gnome 3) which although it's not perfect I love. The Start menu is great but I really love shoving my mouse into the corner and seeing all open Apps (or Windows) plus favourites down the side, one click on the Applications option and all my Apps are showing, it's just brilliant.
You can imagine my dissapointment at Mint 13. It stayed on my PC for a couple of days before I went back to 12. Recently I tried Mint KDE but my PC is not young and it was just too slow and unstable. I could install Docky on Mint 13 to get my single click fix but then I would miss the other cool features of Gnome 3 launcher.
Nope I will stick with Mint 12 until forced to change or something similar comes along.

Am I the only one to mourne the demise of Gnome 3 and Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bimsebasse

Re: Is Mint 12 the best Mint ever, better even than 13?

Post by bimsebasse »

You don't have to support the chosen default shell in Mint. I ran Gnome Shell in Mint 13 without issues and will add it to Mint 14 as well, it's still alive and well and yours to choose if you prefer it over the Mint 13/14 default desktops.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

You know I might just try that.
Hey, sombody loves Gnome 3 after all!
LOL

Update
Found another thread in the Gnome 3 part of Main Edition Support. Somebody suggested using Cinnamon 13 with Gnome 3 shell.
Burning a DVD as I type.
Last edited by Alibro on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

I'm also addicted to the hot corner overview and keep ramming the mouse into the top left corner also in desktop environments without that feature - it's addictive! Cinnamon has hot corner functionality as well but only Gnome Shell has the unified all-in-one-place overview.

Gnome Shell is quite popular, just not 'round these parts so much :)
Last edited by bimsebasse on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

I keep doing that when at work using Windows. I always feel a right plonker :D
Oyabunbaba

Post by Oyabunbaba »

You might like gnome 3 but mint 12 is not good as the others mint's. Mixture of new MATE Cinnamon and gnome3 cause few problems. Mint 12 was just the temporary solution for the new shells. It's a hybrid and one big experiment. Not recommend it to anyone.
richardsdma

Post by richardsdma »

actually, i used mint 12 before mint 13 and i was very happy.....mint 12 was the way to go. (gnome shell+ usefull extention)
i was very upset when i saw that mint drop the gnome shell for cinnamon. i continue to think cinnamon is a waste of time and resources.
as far as hot corner goes, you can try w8, the metro DE has the same philosophy as gnome shell.
in this moment i run mint 13 with gnome shell and it works great.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

I've been using Mint 12 since it came out and had no issues. I have it installed on two PC's and two old Fujitsu laptops and it always works well.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”