Cinnamon Panel Gone, Windows Missing Close/Minimize.

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dresden

Cinnamon Panel Gone, Windows Missing Close/Minimize.

Post by dresden »

I installed some updates last night, that's the only thing I can tell that's changed. Cinnamon was working great for awhile after I installed the nvidia module. Now this is happening and it's no good. I'm a bit stumped as to how to go about fixing it. The only way I could open an firefox window was with the welcome message link.

Edit: Just realized I can open a terminal by right clicking the desktop. Tried doing "cinnamon --replace" and it came up with a message about some botched configuration files. I remember now that the update asked if I wanted to replace some configuration files and I instinctively said yes. Also I believe the nvidia module might have changed some files when I first installed it as well, could these be the same files? Maybe the updater replaced them with defaults?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Temporary Saint
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Cinnamon Panel Gone, Windows Missing Close/Minimize.

Post by Temporary Saint »

Hi dresden,

Did you ever get this problem resolved? I'm having the same problem as of yesterday. I received a lot updates, but none of them asked if I wanted to change any config files.

Steve

UPDATE: I just realized that an xorg update was contained in the updates I received this week. I'm pretty sure that's what caused the problem. I think I need to re-run my sgfxi scripts.
Endeavor to be unique; everyone else does.
Shanth

Post by Shanth »

What is the solution .. :cry:
Even I got the same Problem ..
I was able to work with terminal. But later now that too frezes..
How to Fix this x_O
Now I'm using tty1
:(
E-Links - web browsing
Midnight-Commander - Filemanager
nvlc - CLI for VLC
TMUX - for multiple windows
Finch - CLI for PIdgin
>>>>>> I would like to get rid of this geeky style as soon as possible :oops: <<<<<<<<
Temporary Saint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Temporary Saint »

I did have to re-run the sgfxi scripts.

Steve
Endeavor to be unique; everyone else does.
slrober1

Post by slrober1 »

I'm also having this problem with a fresh install: no taskbar at the bottom of the screen and missing the title bar with min/max/close buttons at the top of every window. Running Mint 13 Cinnamon on the secondary HD of an older Compaq with a Celeron D processor and 1MB RAM, with dual-boot to Win XP on the primary HD.

I'm brand new to Linux but am no stranger to poking around and tweaking. I'm comfortable with Terminal but will need step-by-step guidance. Any & all help is appreciated.
atari800

Post by atari800 »

Try this
Open terminal and execute:
metacity --replace
slrober1

Post by slrober1 »

Great! We're half-way there! I've got the title bar at the top of all my windows, but still no taskbar/menu button/clock at the bottom of my screen.
tunznath

Post by tunznath »

I have the same problem, bottom panel gone, but minimize and close on the windows is there????
GerryAttrick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GerryAttrick »

atari800 wrote:Try this
Open terminal and execute:
metacity --replace

I'll try that as I had the same problem after loading Cinnamon on my wifes PC - finally got her to move from Windows!!! She does not know I am having problems yet so hopefully I can sort this before she finds out and turns off.

I also noticed that when I tried to change the wallpaper I got the screen with the optional images but no accept/apply buttons at the bottom and no way to back out of the screen.

Finally gave up and turned the PC off to recover.

I guess this version has a bit more work needed but I plan to persevere with it as I want to move to it myself.
naviehuynh

Post by naviehuynh »

metacrity --replace does help show the title bar, but I have no idea how to fix the rest. I am using a NVIDIA card and reinstalling the graphic card driver solved it.
GerryAttrick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GerryAttrick »

I gave up in the end and reinstalled Mint 14 KDE. Works like a charm
niklis

Post by niklis »

This has worked for me:
Cinnamon nvidia display problem after update, caused by native Linux NVIDIA driver
At log in change 'session' to 'gnome - no effects'
Download the drivers from the NVIDIA website http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_disp ... -4363.html into a directory (for instance /home)
Rename this file '1.run', as it's easier to remember
Press ctrl-alt-F1, a text login screen (tty1) will appear
Type "sudo su" for super user root then enter your login details
Type "service mdm stop" to stop the X server
Type "sh 1.run" to install the driver from the directory where you had downloaded it (in /home)
Answer yes to all questions from the installer
Type reboot
Cinnamon displays ok
occe94

Post by occe94 »

niklis wrote:This has worked for me:
Cinnamon nvidia display problem after update, caused by native Linux NVIDIA driver
At log in change 'session' to 'gnome - no effects'
Download the drivers from the NVIDIA website [url]http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-4363.html[/url] into a directory (for instance /home)
Rename this file '1.run', as it's easier to remember
Press ctrl-alt-F1, a text login screen (tty1) will appear
Type "sudo su" for super user root then enter your login details
Type "service mdm stop" to stop the X server
Type "sh 1.run" to install the driver from the directory where you had downloaded it (in /home)
Answer yes to all questions from the installer
Type reboot
Cinnamon displays ok
This worked with my HD7950 as well (with the AMD drivers of course)

Return to “Cinnamon”