Ubuntu Paranoia?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Ubuntu Paranoia?

Post by tdockery97 »

Today I downloaded the Xubuntu 13.04 Daily Build to see if I could get a little preview of what may be coming in the Spring. Guess what? It wouldn't even boot. Then I found out why: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/13 ... ritics-ire

It seems that now only "dependable" members of the team will have access to the Ubuntu-based development builds. What happened to having community participation in bug-hunting the new development builds? And what bugs will be overlooked upon final release because not enough eyes are looking at the work in progress?

Could Mr. Shuttleworth be starting to lose it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
cra1g321

Re: Ubuntu Paranoia?

Post by cra1g321 »

I think there also dropping alpha releases too, might of even been beta, cant remember.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Ubuntu is wanting to keep some of what they are doing behind closed doors. Ubuntu 12.10 got a lot of criticism from the testers, along with some bad press too. Look at what their quality team missed in 12.10 and just imagine what could be missed in 13.04 with far less people testing.... I think Shuttleworth did not like the comments about the shopping lens.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

exploder wrote:I think Shuttleworth did not like the comments about the shopping lens.
I think the only thing he liked less was the bashing he's gotten over Unity.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I would think the more testers the better. I've been thinking for awhile now that Ubuntu is becoming more corporate and less community :(
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

tdockery97 wrote:Today I downloaded the Xubuntu 13.04 Daily Build to see if I could get a little preview of what may be coming in the Spring. Guess what? It wouldn't even boot. Then I found out why: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/13 ... ritics-ire
There are people testing away here: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=427

Are you sure there aren't "technical" reasons behind the failure to boot?
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

In my humble opinion, is not at all advisable to lower the "daily builds" versions. I think there are versions made hastily, and obviously going to be full of bugs. I think we should expect to publish the First Beta development, to know what it will bring back now.-

I do not know if Ubuntu lost its way or not. But one thing I'm sure, as the alternative versions of Kubuntu and Xubuntu are beginning to overcome. Today Kubuntu and Xubuntu are better than the same Ubuntu. Greetings.-
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

The phrase "jump the shark" keeps going through my head....

Return to “Chat about Linux”