Mate Desktop Environment

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Level 3
Level 3

Mate Desktop Environment

Postby Pythzor » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:15 pm

I've just installed gir1.2-mate-menu, mate-backgrounds, mate-core, and mate-desktop-environment to . . . Linux Mint 14 Nadia-RC-Mate. It runs much better now.

Since RC is for testing, I suppose the final phase of testing is without those packages.
Compaq tc4400 notebook/tablet, 2.0 GHz, 3 GB ram, 160 GB HD, (no optical drive); Windows 8.1, Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa/Mate, Ubuntu 14.04.4/Unity.

Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mate Desktop Environment

Postby lexon » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:27 pm

I happened to look up Distro Watch and saw this was just behind Mint so I downloaded it and installed it to a blank drive. I can plug in six different drives, one at a time. I used the Gnome desktop.
Don't know all the proper terminology but it works quite nicely. I get a pop up about Gnome 3 not working because of the hardware I guess. Not an issue.
The only thing that bothered me was not being able to move the panel or what I guess they call the bar to the bottom of the screen where it belongs. So far, nothing in Help addresses this.
I will look for a forum for this distro and maybe ask. I am new to Linux. Only using it since 2003.

Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”