Folding@Home

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Folding@Home

Post by tinca »

Txnca,

sorry to hear of your problems. I hope that you will be able to get them all fixed.

Best regards Keith
MysticGold04

Post by MysticGold04 »

Just checked today and we are now at 986 !!
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

MysticGold04 ,

well, we are still going in the right direction, and that is ever upwards.

Best regards Keith
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

uh oh...I was able to run folding w/mint 9 rc but now that I installed the Final I am getting an error.....I am using the whosyerdaddy-0.6.sh work around.

first error I noticed on install:
darco@darco-Mint9 ~/lib64-fah $ ~/whosyerdaddy-0.6.sh
whosyerdaddy 0.6, workaround for broken Folding@Home client 6.29 binaries
Copyright (c) 2010 by Kris Rusocki <kszysiu@gmail.com>
Licensed under GPLv2

Checking for awk bc cat chmod cut dd grep head od readelf sed tac tr ...done.
ERROR: libc.so.6 not writable!

so basically trying to run folding gets me:
darco@darco-Mint9 ~/folding $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/lib64-fah ./fah6 -verbosity 9
Note: Please read the license agreement (fah6 -license). Further
use of this software requires that you have read and accepted this agreement.

--- Opening Log file [May 17 23:46:09 UTC]

# Linux Console Edition #######################################################
###############################################################################

Folding@Home Client Version 6.29

http://folding.stanford.edu

Launch directory: /home/darco/folding
Executable: ./fah6
Arguments: -verbosity 9

[23:46:09] - Ask before connecting: No
[23:46:09] - User name: darco (Team 76140)
[23:46:09] - User ID not found locally
[23:46:09] + Requesting User ID from server
[23:46:09] - Getting ID from AS:
[23:46:09] Connecting to http://assign.stanford.edu:8080/
fah6: relocation error: /home/darco/lib64-fah/libnss_files.so.2: symbol __rawmemchr, version GLIBC_2.2.5 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
darco@darco-Mint9 ~/folding $

Will try to reinstall and see what happens....
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

darco,

sorry that I can't help you at the moment as I am still running Mint9 RC without any problems. I believe that I can keep my RC release and just keep it fully updated with 1,2 and 3 level updates, then there would be no need to install the final release.

Keep us informed please.

Best regards Keith
jeremiah.putnam

Post by jeremiah.putnam »

What is going on with our team? I just checked today and there is only two active users: kwisher and myself (Incubator_Computers). What gives? We need to recruit people quickly! I don't think a lot of people realise that this program does not slow down your computer at all.
jeremiah.putnam

Post by jeremiah.putnam »

Anyone tried to use Origami? The package is in the repos and is a nice script. It even has simple start/stop commands with a built in status check and a stats listing.

The only problem I have with it is that I can not get my 64bit to run two cores when set up for it. I have to go in 32bit mode in order to use both cores.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Just set up my spare lappy, with a view to easing back into this project I started a hell of a long time ago. Downloaded the following files from http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage and was dead easy to get back up and running.

fahclient_7.2.9_amd64.deb
fahcontrol_7.2.9-1_all.deb
fahviewer_7.2.9_amd64.deb

Now if we could just get all 86 members up and running we would be quids in.

We are now ranked 853
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
styckx

Post by styckx »

I tossed my two boxes on the folding team today so there is now a 23rd active member. :)
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Stycks, glad to have you aboard. :D
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Been folding for the past couple of days now that it's cold enough here to have the extra heater running. Gotta love them 4870x2's :lol:
boallen

Post by boallen »

Okay boys and girls, here I come! :twisted:

I've got 3 Linux Mint machines folding now, and they're humming along great (Mint made sure of that). I use HFM to monitor progress.

I am excited to be folding for Team Linux Mint!

:beer:
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

More the merrier. Welcome to you all.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

hi all,

we are now at an impressive 774, and still going the right way.

Best regards Keith
boallen

Post by boallen »

Hi All,

I thought I would share some things I've learned.

I built a dedicated folding machine, fairly cheaply, that averaged 23k PPD. (It's been retired now so my PPD will drop a lot)
I then got my hands on a GTX460, and started folding on both. Well, my PPD went down to 19k (!?). I tried leaving a CPU core for the GPU, but it didn't help.

I have a WIndows 7 machine with the same CPU, overclocked to 3.5 GHz, liquid cooled, 8GB RAM (basically similar enough to the dedicated folding machine I expected similar PPD), but folding through Windows averaged only 11k PPD.

HFM monitoring has been nice, and fairly easy to pull data from remote servers via HTTP.

In case it helps anyone.

-Bo
twg

Post by twg »

Hey all, finally got situated where I could leave my machines up to fold again. Saw that we are at 664 now, that pretty sweet!

Wonder how we can get more people involved. Anyway it is good to be back and stationary for a bit. I hope it lasts. :lol:

Happy Folding and Happy Holiday Season. Hope everyone has a safe New Year!

Saicotic
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Thought I'd dust off this old thread and give an update on 'Team Linux Mint' (76140)

There are 5 active team members,(117 inactive) and we are just about to break through the top 500.

The new (relatively) new f@h core is 7.4.4 and is easy to install and configure.

I think they want the type of wu (work units) that are best done with gpu's and are weighted that way. I cam make >10 x's as many points using my gpu.

I use my gtx970 only (no cpu wu) and average somewhere between 230 and 330 k points per day.(depends on wu) Must use restricted drivers, I'm using 370.23 right now. I use coolbits for nvidia fan control and a script that runs the fans sooner than default. My msi gtx970 will shutdown the fans until 60 degrees C is reached and I find that a little hot.

I can do normal stuff on my computer like surfing and streaming 320kbps shoutcast radio while folding. If I want to watch video, or stream it through my UMS, or other gpu/cpu intensive work (like gaming), I'll pause the f@h client until it work is done, the gpu still needs one full cpu thread for conrol. Pausing releases the f@h clients control of the gtx so it can be OC'd or whatever.

If you have a fancy new video card and want to give it some exercise, Team Linux Mint can use YOU!
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

greerd,

I've been giving this a try since your 3 Sept. post. I couldn't get my GPU to be recognized for some reason, and really wasn't too concerned about it. Giving the Intel i7 6700K a run for its money instead, with 50% CPU use. I don't do if full time; some evenings, and full time on the weekends. Core temps run from mid 50's to mid 60's, depending upon room ambient. I see the team has made it to 480 today. I find at 50%, it produces no hindrance to the system. My son has gamed on it at the same time, with no real apparent affects. Interesting project, and quite easy to forget its even running.
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Hi powerwagon75,

Yes, I see you on http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... s=&t=76140. Are you running an Nvidia card? If so you can find out if its detected by FAHControl by clicking the System Info tab. I've had to sudo service FAHClient restart before to have my card detected, but not after its been initially detected. Proprietary drivers must be used, I'm using 370.28 but have had no trouble with the earlier versions. I think I started above version 340. GPU is the way to go if you want to make points, I'm only using an old i7 960, with no WU (work Units) assigned to the cores, only my GTX970 and I'm getting ~ 300k points/day.

Some of these people must have quite the rigs!

Anyway, glad to meet a fellow folder!

Cheers
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

greerd,

Yes, I do run an EVGA nvidia GTX980. I ran your sudo suggestion once, and it didn't help. Tried changing the value to "true" in the configure page, then restarting it, didn't help. Put value back to false. Stopped/restarted again, and it showed up. Thanks for the tip!

I'm curious about the GPU stats, though. Says its only using 21-22% memory, but utilization is at 98-99%. All I know is it runs hot. Got the fan cranked up pretty good (85%) to keep temp in the lower 60's.
GTX980_folding_status.png
Thinking I'll have to pause the GPU ID if the family wants to do any gaming, but local or streaming video playback doesn't seem to change anything.
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”