Linux Mint 14 "Nadia" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 14 "Nadia" released!

Post by clem »

bimsebasse

Re: Linux Mint 14 "Nadia" released!

Post by bimsebasse »

Solid experience so far - it's impressive how fast Cinnamon develops. Congrats, and thanks :) (especially to the tireless behind the curtains work of the "new" devs mtwebster and autarkper)
Last edited by bimsebasse on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

eD2k/Kad mirror updated. Good work as always, Mint team!
I like the new MDM design. :)
fsimerey

Post by fsimerey »

Still problem than LM13 and nouveau driver with Nvidia GTX 580.

Launch with grub option nouveau.noaccel=1 doesn't work (no video signal).
Any idea ?

Thanks

EDIT: SOLVED, just add "nomodeset" in boot after "splash"
Last edited by fsimerey on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironlion45

Post by Ironlion45 »

So far, pretty amazing guys!

I have some problems with CInnamon and proprietary ATI drivers; they simply don't play well together. With the open source drivers, however, even 2d performance is slow with more than a couple windows open in multimonitor. Cinnamon is beautiful though, really coming along. Fortunately Mate is pretty amazing too; at least amazing enough that I'ts working quite well for me with the proprietary drivers. I have also had crashes and freezes on Cinnamon desktop that I do not have on any other desktop environment; this is a shame, becuase I do like Cinnamon; but I don't think it's ready to be put forward into the front seat yet. MATE is currently the best choice for a Mint desktop.

Aside from that frustration, I'm loving this to no end. One idea, however: Put out an edition that has both cinnamon and mate configured with that fancy custom menu. Maybe add an menu item on first boot? It would eliminate the need for separate editions for Mate and Cinnamon releases.
Total_Blue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Total_Blue »

I downloaded both versions (64 bit) to try out in Virtualbox. This is my experience with them just from trying the Live CD.

Mate worked like a charm, but with Cinnamon, a lot of times when I move the mouse to do something, it kept popping up the 2nd workspace to switch to. It was getting really really annoying. I wasn't even anywhere near the upper left hand corner. It would pop up if I went to click on menu and when I had System Settings open and went to click on the X to close it, the workspaces window would pop up.

Cinnamon needs to go back into beta to get the bugs worked out, which is too bad, as I am currently using LM13 Cinnamon and prefer it over Mate.

Another issue I have, and I only tried it in Cinnamon, was trying to set up a printer using the printer icon on System Setings. If its not going to do anything, why leave it there? All it does is give a generic error saying you need to have all these things open in firewall for it to work.Before someone tells me I have to use CUPS, I know that NOW, but anyone new coming to Linux Mint would not. Why not make the Printer icon in System Settings load up the default browser to the CUPS printer set up page?
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

@Total_Blue
The problem you're experiencing in Cinnamon is specific to virtual box (see here - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 16#p645880). The CUPS point is a good one, but I believe it works in MATE.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Desktop.
Processor: 4 x AMDFX-4100 Quad core.
Video: GeForce GT430/PCIe/SSE2
Monitor: LG Electronics 23"
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz

Downloaded LinuxMint v14 x64 yesterday. Running from LiveCD worked perfectly, so installed to HD and experienced problems.

(1) Would not boot to display. That is, the boot process appeared to complete but there was no display on the monitor. The monitor power light flashed intermittently but that was all.

(2) Booted in Safe Mode. Chose first option (default boot) and was presented with an ugly display!

(3) Went to Display Monitor options and found that the only choices I had were 1024 x 768 (which was highlighted) and 800 x 600 and the the word Laptop was displayed.

(4) Clicked on Detect Display but nothing happened.

(5) Elected to install the 104 updates which were waiting, hoping that would make a difference. It didn't.

I seek the help of the combined wisdom of members to get me out of this problem.

Regards from New Zealand.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
apes

Post by apes »

very impressed (64bit cinnamon). all the niggles and glitches i had have gone; menu opens fast, minecraft works full screen; various gfx corruption/artefacts all gone. i couldn't be happier with this. many thanks to all involved.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

I have tested Linux Mint 14 Mate and Cinnamon versions, and you really have to congratulate the Linux Mint Team have done a great job. Mate Without a doubt still more mature than Cinnamon. Mate has a great stability, but beware ..... Cinnamon is much better than ever, more visually appealing, more care, and more works better. Congratulations Linux Mint Team !!!! I have a question: When leaving KDE and XFCE versions ???? The' m waiting, especially with KDE edition.-
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Was on 13 short time and new to Mint & Cinnamon and did a clean install of Nadia.

First am Amazed and Impressed with Cinnamon Mint. And want to thank all the developers and their hard works.
And delivering an outstanding distro. Was an Ubuntu user back in 2007-08 and lose interests due to lack of photo editing apps.

Came back to Ubuntu and was floored & flabbergasted speechless about the whole "Unity" and turned me off immediately.
Knowing under all that was still a great foundation. Started a search and found Mint 13 and was again floored & flabbergasted speechless. But in an exciting and fresh way.

Only problems i am facing is running AMD Athlon II X2 250 Processor × 2 4gb ram and Ati 4350 graphics card with dual lcd setup.
I am taking it that the default after install is Cinnamon not Cinnamon 2D. Which when I run 2D both my cores crank up to the 90's and stay there. Graphics driver is the default Gallium 0.4 on Amd RV710.

Only other problem seems to be the sys tray applets. Sometimes they are green squares. Sometimes they are all there except the volume is invisible. Also sometimes the settings arrows is missing. And sometimes some of the time partial missing of text or numbers in the date-time applet. Sometimes logging off-on resolves it sometimes it takes more than once 2 or 3 times before they all appear normal. Or restart cinnamon or reboot may or may not do the trick. And this is with trying out different cinnamon & Gtk theme options.

Other than that a Fantastic Distro I will recommend to All that are interested into dabbling their toes into the Linux Hot Tub 8)
Lanser

Post by Lanser »

Thank you Clem and the Mint team for another excellent stable build.
The release notes provide a nice overview, but I was wondering if you have a delta list (at the apps level) between LM13mate64 and LM14mate64.
It would help with migration planning......

Lanser
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Using Mint 14 Cinnamon, and though it's been a while since I've posted on this forum, I'd thought I'd share some thoughts/advice:

1. I think Cinnamon is to Gnome 3 as Windows 7 is to Vista - an improvement on a broken original that still maintains the eye candy.

2. I strongly advise (newcomers especially) to try out Nadia on a Live USB for a couple days before installation, just to be sure that every app is going to be compatible with your hardware.

3. Related to that, give the Live USB at least a gig of storage, so you can play around with the look and configurations. When it looks the way you like, save the /.config and /.gconf directories from the Live USB, and then paste them into your new /home after installation, and restart Cinnamon - tada! You get all those settings back without having to reset them manually all over again.

4. Unfortunately, I don't think Nouveau is ready for prime time. I wasn't able to play even my most basic games without the framerate dropping to a crawl. So for now, I'm using the proprietary-tested Nvidia driver, and all my games work perfectly.

Overall I'm very impressed with Nadia, and Cinnamon looks like it could very well end up being my DE of choice from here on out. Great work, guys!
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

tenfoot wrote:Desktop.
Processor: 4 x AMDFX-4100 Quad core.
Video: GeForce GT430/PCIe/SSE2
Monitor: LG Electronics 23"
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz

Downloaded LinuxMint v14 x64 yesterday. Running from LiveCD worked perfectly, so installed to HD and experienced problems.

(1) Would not boot to display. That is, the boot process appeared to complete but there was no display on the monitor. The monitor power light flashed intermittently but that was all.

(2) Booted in Safe Mode. Chose first option (default boot) and was presented with an ugly display!

(3) Went to Display Monitor options and found that the only choices I had were 1024 x 768 (which was highlighted) and 800 x 600 and the the word Laptop was displayed.

(4) Clicked on Detect Display but nothing happened.

(5) Elected to install the 104 updates which were waiting, hoping that would make a difference. It didn't.

I seek the help of the combined wisdom of members to get me out of this problem.

Regards from New Zealand.
i have the same issues and have the same video card. Never used to get this from previous releases, but Im getting the dreaded BSOD (black scrren of death) on both of my machines when i boot mint14 from either using UnetBootin or from the livedvd. (Elite 8000 SFF Nvidia GT430 & laptop Asus UL50VT - hybrid - intel i915 and Nvidia GM210)

Has anyone successfully got dual display working using DisplayLink USB adapter (Please no links to endless complicated high-end tech documents)?
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
mongoose961

Post by mongoose961 »

I have been running LM14 for about a day now. I was on 12.10 with Unity and had it running fairly smoothly but it was still a bit clunky. Before 12.10 I was running LM13 KDE edition and it was fantastic. I figured I would give Cinnamon a try and I couldnt be happier. I have an HP Pavilion g series i3 with 8GB ram and a 750 HDD. It just worked right out of the box and Cinnamon is very responsive and easy to use. I was thinking about waiting till your KDE 14 was released but I am glad I took the jump. Isn't it one of the reasons why we use Linux anyway? We are given the freedom to change at will and try different distros until we find one that fits our needs. Thank you for all the hard work that you have done to put out such an OUTSTANDING distro.

V/R
Mongoose961
NM USA
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

Apologies if this is not the correct place to post this, but...

What's the planned released date for the XFCE version of Linux Mint 14?

Cheers,

Mike.
guns90

Post by guns90 »

I had a stroke a while back, so memory is problem to me. I've been using Mate LM13 since it came out with no problems with anything. I don't use my computer for anything extraordinary. I surf the web, do my banking, lite correspondance, store all my photos and music, and stream a couple of tv shows to my tv that I can't record.

I downloaded both LM14 Mate and Cinnamon and tried them both for a couple of days. Probably because of my memory troubles, Cinnamon just didn't make sense to me. I found Mate much easier to understand, so I did a clean install. For some reason it doesn't work well in yahoo, mainly email. I keep getting 'script errors' and it freezes up. It became so cumbersome that I just got rid of it and did a clean install of LM13 Mate again. It works fine, so I don't see a need to switch at this time. I'll check out LM15 to see if its any better.:)

Biostar TH67+
Intell Core-i7 2600K
WD 500 Gb
8Gb G.Skill ripjaw 1333
Evga GTX 570
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

So is anyone else getting the dreaded bsod? Is there a work around. I have nvidia gt430.
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
keghn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by keghn »

Mint 14 mate runs great and installed great.
No problems.
I think 14 will be as good or better than Mint 12 kde

Mint 14 mate on my Samsung series 7
chronos np700z5c optimus laptop using Intel
ivy bridge hd4000 Intel gpu, and geforce gt 630m gpu. Using i7-3615QM
cpu. 8Gbytes ssd, and 8gig of ram.
Tejas_0

Post by Tejas_0 »

mongoose961 wrote:Isn't it one of the reasons why we use Linux anyway? We are given the freedom to change at will and try different distros until we find one that fits our needs.
Too right :) To take a series of snapshots I use Agilia, where the window remains open, and where snapshot can be fine tuned with date, time and title, also Agilia for good memory management. In Chakra: Calligra Words for word processing & Krita for images, and also to run Wine. In Mint: the Gimp for images, VLC media player, Yahoo news with iffy scripts under Firefox, Skype, Transmission for Torrents, and Brasero for burning, to name but a few.

Salvaging Session Settings after a Failed Suspend

Running Nadia Live DVD from Iso 'linuxmint-14-cinnamon-dvd-32bit.iso' on HD

Under Maya cinammon after a Suspend, upon hitting keys or moving mouse the system has always snapped back into life. Nadia however does it sporadically, and most of the time one ends up with a cursor which follows the mouse, but is unable to activate anything. The same goes for the keys. The clock remains frozen, and showing the time of reanimation.

Under Maya cinammon there was a problem with Libra Writer when it clobbered the desktop, and trying Ctl+Alt+<- proved ineffective, killing cinammon useless, managed to salvage the situation by killing gnome-session from Console 1. :twisted:

That recovery procedure has also proven effective here in salvaging the session settings etc.
  1. Ctl+Alt+F1
  2. ps -C gnome-session
  3. kill <PID gnome-session>
  4. Wait until Desktop Reappears ;)
Last edited by Tejas_0 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”