No desktop after apt upgrade from 11 to 14

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frantsch

No desktop after apt upgrade from 11 to 14

Post by frantsch »

I upgraded from linux mint 11 to 14 (32 bit) using the instructions given in http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=90 and using 'nadia' and 'precise' when editing the sources.list file. Everything went well, apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade, as well as apt-get upgrade executed without any error messages.
After reboot however, the desktop environment does not start up and shows a black screen only. When I try the recovery mode and choose to get to the command line, I am asked for the root password. However it seems to have changed, my former root password would not work. How can I get the system running again?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: No desktop after apt upgrade from 11 to 14

Post by remoulder »

frantsch wrote:How can I get the system running again?
Mint does not support in place upgrades especially between 4 versions, you follow other users suggestions at your own risk. A fresh install is recommended.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
frantsch

Post by frantsch »

Thank you for your hint! But how may I get all the personal data of the users saved before installing freshly?
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

frantsch wrote:how may I get all the personal data
See http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
frantsch

Post by frantsch »

Sorry, but this does not help in my case. As I said, I am no more able to obtain any desktop on my system in order to do any backup or so, and not even a shell command line, since my root password does not fit any more due to the upgrade process. Is there any way to boot by cd and mount the system harddrive as well as an external drive in order to copy the data from the users' system drive?
I am not very familiar with linux, any help is appreciated since it is very important for me to safe all users' data!
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Then I suggest you boot from a live disc or usb, which I guess you'll need to make on another machine or buy, and use that to backup the data on your hard drive before re-installing. Good luck.

frantsch

Post by frantsch »

Thank you, I will give it a try. I am able to access the system drives when booting from live dvd. Will it be sufficient to backup the /home to an external drive and to restore it after fresh installation? Will I have to create the former users first or are they created automatically by restoring their subdirectories under /home?
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

No you can't just restore the home, you will first have to create the user in the new install. Also do not just restore the home, this is partially the reason why you can't upgrade in place as config files from previous version in home are not compatible. In general, you should only restore your actual data, documents, pictures, etc and browser and email folders (.mozilla and .thunderbird for FF and TB). The safest way to do it is to login as your new user after install to create the home structure then copy the data from the backup into the same folders in the new home, e.g. contents of Documents in backup to new home's Documents. This way the permissions should be correct.

Return to “Beginner Questions”