How to update from MATE 13 to 14?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
theusername

How to update from MATE 13 to 14?

Post by theusername »

I just installed the MATE desktop 13 (maya) on saturday and theres already 14 out. Is this just as simple as updating with the update manager or do I have to install the new iso ?

(newbie linux user)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: How to update from MATE 13 to 14?

Post by wayne128 »

It is easier and safer to just download a released iso and install.
theusername

Post by theusername »

Ok. Would there be any reason to update to 14 now or should I just stick on 13 for now?
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

I mean, really, there's no reason to upgrade. Obviously the newer version will have things that yours doesn't, but if yours is working good and you have a lot of custom software or settings, then don't upgrade.
There is actually a way to do a live "upgrade", but it's not ideal.
Read this: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

BTW, I have Mint Maya (13) Cinnamon. It's beautiful! I like it much better than the MATE version.
Also, if you've only had Mint on since Saturday, maybe it's good for you to go ahead and upgrade because you probably don't have much changes to make.
The "fresh" install is the best for all upgrades in Mint though, much easier and cleaner. Plus, in Mint, there's a built in BackUp option so you can save all your docs. Go to Menu>Admin>Backup Tool

Return to “Beginner Questions”