[SOLVED] Bookmarked 'Places' are opening as root directories

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
acraig

[SOLVED] Bookmarked 'Places' are opening as root directories

Post by acraig »

I installed Linux Mint 14 Nadia RC 32-bit MATE edition yesterday, and today I realized that everytime I click a bookmarked directory shortcut in the Places drop menu it opens as root. I clicked Computer and it was a normal window. Is this something that has not been worked out yet with the distro or is it something else. I have never experienced this before.
What can I do to make the bookmarked items open normally?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Bookmarked 'Places' are opening as root directories

Post by remoulder »

acraig wrote:Mint 14 Nadia RC
RC versions may contain issues, please install the released version.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
acraig

Post by acraig »

remoulder wrote:RC versions may contain issues, please install the released version.
It hasn't been officially released yet. But I was told that any possible issues would be handled with updates. Is this true?
acraig

Post by acraig »

Maybe I'll just go back to 13.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

acraig wrote:It hasn't been officially released yet
Yes it has, http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2216
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
acraig

Post by acraig »

I'm sorry, I was mistaken about the opening as root thing. It looks like root because of the ugly windows. How do I get rid of them? Is there a thread for that? But if I Also, if I clcik the app or file directory from desktop all is well, but if I try to open a video with a click the video player also has a ugly window. What could be causing that? And would installing the updates LM 14 kernel fix the problem? It's the only problem I am having, btw.
acraig

Post by acraig »

Update.
I went into Preferred Applications and changed System>File Manager to Open Files and the bookmarked files now open with the theme, BUT when I click on a video or music file I still get the ugly (root looking) theme instead of the chosen system theme. Can anyone tell me why this might be happening. There must be a simple way to fix this. Keep in mind that it only happens when I click on a video or music file. If I open the music/video app itself everything is fine.
acraig

Post by acraig »

Nevermmind. This seems to be a Gnome Player specific problem. I installed SMplayer, clicked a video and music file and both times the system theme was there. :D I'm sorry about Gnome Player being screwed up, but glad that it's not a distro issue. Will martk thread as solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”