Wireless interface dissapears on driver install (Broadcom)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xjas

Wireless interface dissapears on driver install (Broadcom)

Post by xjas »

Hey guys,

I KNOW issues with these cards have been done to death but I can't seem to find this specific problem anywhere and I'm wondering if someone has a suggestion. I'm running a Dell D630 with Broadcom BCM4311 (rev. 14e3:4312) wireless card. I've installed the bcmwl-kernel-source driver from an Ubuntu 12.04 livecd since I have no possibility to get on the internet with this machine without wi-fi. The driver appears in the "additional drivers" menu fine and says 'activated and in use', but any trace of wi-fi has completely dissapeared from Network Manager. ifconfig only reports eth0 and lo - I can find no sign of any wi-fi interface (wlan*, etc...) existing at all.

I've installed the driver according to these instructions and loaded the prerequisites (dkms, patch, patchutils, faleroot) properly beforehand.

The only indication that the computer has wi-fi at all is from rfkill, which gives me:

Code: Select all

0: hci0: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no
1: dell-wifi: Wireless LAN
2: dell-bluetooth: Bluetooth
If I de-install the driver or disable it with modprobe -r, Network Manager gives me back a wi-fi category but says "firmware not installed". As soon as I reactivate the driver that category goes away again. This is totally repeatable.

ANY input into how to solve this is appreciated! I've been hashing away at this thing for days with no luck. For a variety of reasons I can't connect this machine to a wired network so I need wi-fi before I can get on the internet at all.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Wireless interface dissapears on driver install (Broadco

Post by caf4926 »

Get this and extract the folder b43
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/b43_firmware/b43.zip

inspect the dir. /lib/firmware
If you have a folder already 'b43'
We need to rename it
Open a terminal in /lib/firmware and do

sudo mv b43 old-b43
Then open a terminal where you have the folder I gave you and do

sudo mv b43 /lib/firmware
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

What version of mint?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
xjas

Post by xjas »

caf4926 wrote:Get this and extract the folder b43
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/b43_firmware/b43.zip

inspect the dir. /lib/firmware
If you have a folder already 'b43'
We need to rename it
Open a terminal in /lib/firmware and do

sudo mv b43 old-b43
Then open a terminal where you have the folder I gave you and do

sudo mv b43 /lib/firmware
Thanks for the tip. I got it to (sort of) work by adding the firmware as you described, then by unloading the wl driver (i.e. by running modprobe -r wl) and loading the b43 one (modprobe b43), which brings up all my wi-fi options & networks as it should. BUT it seems to connect, then disconnect constantly every 30 seconds or so. When it's 'connected' I can get basic webpages to load so there is *some* connectivity but installing stuff (even small things) from Synaptic or whatever never seems to work.

@Remoulder, I'm running Mint 13 x86_64.

This machine dual boots XP where the wireless seems to work fine, BTW.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

You should uninstall the proprietary driver 'wl'

Your device should work with either though
But in practice it's better not to have 'wl' installed if you use b43, at least to avoid problems.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
xjas

Post by xjas »

Yeah, uninstalling wl makes it run b43 by default fine, but it doesn't seem to help with the disconnect/reconnect issue. Both drivers claim to support the exact revision of the chipset I'm using, so I'm not sure what's causing the fault here.

Return to “Beginner Questions”