Why did my desktop disappear?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alanstanley

Why did my desktop disappear?

Post by alanstanley »

A strange thing happened to my computer today- on getting home from work I discover my wife perplexed as the computer was completely unresponsive. There was my background image, tool panel in its usual place but with no icons or menu, and the desktop itself was completely empty apart from a couple of screenlets - which were not only still there but also still functioning. Also it wouldn't turn off with the power button, not even with the Alt+printsceen REISUB trick. Eventually and to my relief I got it all going again buy unplugging at the mains and restarting - 2 times. I was worried for a while though. Anybody know what might have happened?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Why did my desktop disappear?

Post by Acid_1 »

when you turned it on, when it froze, did it boot like that or did it work for a bit and then froze? if it worked for a bit, what program(s) were you using?
alanstanley

Post by alanstanley »

It seems that it booted into the desktop-less state.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

Did you log in using a terminal, from the sessions list?
alanstanley

Post by alanstanley »

sorry for delay in replying... I have automatic login configured. This has become something which happens on a semi-regular basis, however I find that a forced shut down followed by a restart always returns the desktop as normal. It is a little bit worrying though.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

pondering this for a moment, i have realized, that this too happened to me :P never fear! i am hear :mrgreen: anyhow, what i did was i waited for 10-20 minutes and it unfroze, but when i reinstalled a week later, it never did it again.
alanstanley

Post by alanstanley »

Can't blame the wife for this one!
It is still happening every now and again, but as long as powering off and restarting fixes it I shan't worry too much.
daka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by daka »

Me too!!

I also have a numnber of other buggy interferences. Fortunately they are all minor ewnough to not require a re-install. I do find this particular most recent version "Elyssa" more problematic than all the others.

daka
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

hmmm. Forgot about this thread. And I spelt here wrong (hear :shock: ) Anyhow, with all the patches, this Mint is way more stable than 4. (Like, a bajillion)
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

I don't think it's a nautilus issue. That is just the WM. Gnome takes care of the toolbars, and all the other things.
rbloch66

Post by rbloch66 »

I had my desktop freeze, and my icons disappeared.
However, my panel remained.

Following a previous suggestion, I did start nautilus from terminal, and it corrected the issue.

Thanks for the posts!!

Return to “Beginner Questions”