Mint 10 got messed up with permissions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blacknail

Mint 10 got messed up with permissions

Post by blacknail »

Hi all,

I've been using for some months Linux Mint 10 64 bit in my Vaio laptop. Some weeks ago someone close to me, which doesn't have much knowledge handling computers or Linux, needed to use it. So, to simplify things, I temporarily removed the password on my account. I'm not certain if it has to do something with it (it probably does, of course), but since then, my Linux got messed up. When I enter Mint, a dialog appears with the message
Could not update ICEauthority file /home/blacknail/JCEauthority
Immediately after I hit the "Close" button, another dialog pops-up with the following message:
There is a problem with the configuration server. (/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256)
Again, after hitting the "Close" button, the system resumes loading, but with a third dialog displaying an error:
The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_mintMenu". Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?
The window has two options: "Don't Delete" and "Delete". Either if I choose any of the options, the pop up goes away but I'm only left with the Mint welcome screen and the system bar (without the menu button), so I can't do anything. Still, when I close the welcome window, another warning appears, saying
Nautilus could not create the following required folders: /home/blacknail/Desktop, /home/blacknail/.nautilus. Before running Nautilus, please create these folders, or set permissions such that Nautilus can create them.
The scenario continues: I have nothing but the desktop with the system bar, without the menu.

I alreday intended to install another Linux Mint version, and although I have the majority of my data in a safe place, there are some things I would like to back up from my distro. So, I need to copy some files before reinstalling Mint. If I try to run a Linux Mint live CD to accomplish that, I can't access my files, a message about not having enough permissions to do that is displayed.

So, does anyone have an idea how can I recover my data?

Thank you all,
João
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: Mint 10 got messed up with permissions

Post by oobetimer »

Via liveCD, terminal command gksudo nautilus should open all locks for you. You must mount your partitions before using gksudo nautilus.
blacknail

Post by blacknail »

Thanks oobetimer, I'll try it!
blacknail

Post by blacknail »

Hi again,

I've just had time to look to this now. Typing "gksudo nautilus" in the terminal hasn't changed things for me. However, after typing "gksudo caja", it opened Caja as root, but when I get to my folder, there is a README.txt file and a "Access-Your-Private-Data.desktop" one. Inside README.txt there is:
THIS DIRECTORY HAS BEEN UNMOUNTED TO PROTECT YOR DATA.

From the graphical desktop, click on:
"Access Your Private Data"

or

From the command line, run:
ecryptfs-mount-private
So, if I try the first option, it gives an error:
Failed to execute child process "xterm" (No such file or directory)
If I try the second one, the terminal gives me a different error:
ERROR: Encrypted private directory is not setup properly
I've searched Google, tried some suggestions and nothing worked. Does anybody has a hint on this?

Thanks,
João
blacknail

Post by blacknail »

Can't anyone help me? :\
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Mint 10 has been obsolete for over 18 months and no longer supported, You should upgrade to a newer version.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Why would anyone install Mint 10, now?

(sorry, realize this is incredibly unhelpful - but try an updated version)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

blacknail wrote:Typing "gksudo nautilus" in the terminal hasn't changed things for me. However, after typing "gksudo caja", it opened Caja as root,
afaik the OP is not using mint10 (to best of my knowledge); caja is mate's file manager and wasn't available in mint10.

blacknail can you please provide us the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Sr
blacknail

Post by blacknail »

Hello again,

First of all, thank you for your replies. remoulder and bimsebasse, I installed Mint 10 more or less one year ago, and I did it because version 11 and 12 often crashed in my laptop. As paradoxal as it may seem, I can't upgrade now, precisely because I need some files I still have in the hard disk.

zerozero, I'll try that and keep you informed about it.

Thank you all,
João

Return to “Beginner Questions”