[SOLVED] Dual boot issues XP and Mint 13

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Frederator

[SOLVED] Dual boot issues XP and Mint 13

Post by Frederator »

I have only ever used Windows and am a complete newbie with linux. I wanted to install a dual boot with XP and Mint 13 (32-bit) so I could ease my way into linux.
So...
Installed Mint 13/MATE on a second hard drive (slaved to a master hard drive with windows xp installed).
After the install, I rebooted but Windows booted as usual instead of seeing any dual boot loader screen.
I changed the boot order in the BIOS to boot to the second drive first and although Windows did not boot, I got the following screen:

Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
-Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
-Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
-Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
-Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/77478168-2ed7-4c0e-55b3e2f68d75 does not exist.
Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox v1.18.5 (Ubuntu 1:1.18.5-1ubuntu4( built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)_

If I type in 'exit' <enter>, Mint boots into my new desktop with a Welcome to Linux Mint screen.

I would like to have the dual boot options screen automatically upon boot up.
I apologize in advance if this has been discussed a million times but I haven't a clue.
Thanks in advance,
Frederator
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Curtrey

Re: Dual boot issues XP and Mint 13

Post by Curtrey »

I have always used GAG bootloader. It worked well with Ubuntu but needed the Grub to be moved to the partition on which you installed the Linux o/s. GAG did not like any version over 1. Legacy Grub did very well but when I tried recently it had been removed from the options in Terminal commands. However Linux Mint Debian installs OK but remember to put Grub into the partition you installed LMDE. You will be asked during the installation on which partition you want Grub. I don't know what version of Grub is used but GAG bootloader works like a dream. Not like a nightmare!!!!

Curtrey
Frederator

Post by Frederator »

From the GRUB 2 troubleshooting page, I find the following:

Busybox or Initramfs: GRUB 2 began the boot process but there was a problem passing control to the operating system. Possible causes include an incorrect UUID or root= designation in the 'linux' line or a corrupted kernel.

I have no idea what that means but it matches references in the error message in my original post.
It goes on to say that this problem can normally be corrected from a GRUB2 Terminal or a LiveCD.
If anyone has any ideas about the proper command strings to input (and where to input them), I would be most grateful.

Otherwise, I wonder if the Boot-Repair app would (help) solve my problems?
Thanks,
Frederator
Curtrey

Post by Curtrey »

Sorry I've no idea about geekspeak. Been having the same problem (of geekspeak) trying to solve my sound problem with
LMDE. Minters try to help and are most generous but seem to be on a much higher strata computerwise than me. Some problems are not for the likes of me -- a computer dumkoff!! Best of luck

Curtrey
Frederator

Post by Frederator »

On the Menu under File System, dev/disk/... there are 3 folders:
/by-id (16 items)
/by-path (9 items)
/by-uuid (5 items).

All of these entries show...
Owner: root
Type: Link to block device (inode/blockdevice)
and all are 0 bytes.

The boot error from my original post contained the following:
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/77478168-2ed7-4c0e-55b3e2f68d75 does not exist.
This is one of the items listed in /by-uuid folder so maybe if the boot loader could see this drive, the problem might be solved(?)
Any advice is welcome.
Thanks,
Frederator
Frederator

Post by Frederator »

Booted to Grub2 Boot-Repair CD and did the recommended repair.
The repair failed as I got the exact same error message as in my original post.
The Boot-Repair generated report can be found at: http://paste2.org/p/2505226
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Frederator
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

try this..

1. use your editor, open /boot/grub/grub.cfg

2. look for near the end of the file,
### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
3. insert those inside code tags between BEGIN and END.

Code: Select all

menuentry 'Try to boot this Linux Mint 13 MATE 32-bit, 3.2.0-23-generic (/dev/sdb5)' --class linuxmint --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
	recordfail
	gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
	insmod gzio
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 77478168-2ed7-4c0e-864e-55b3e2f68d75
	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-23-generic root=UUID=77478168-2ed7-4c0e-864e-55b3e2f68d75 ro   quiet splash $vt_handoff
	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-23-generic
}
4. the inserted codes would look like
### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.

menuentry 'Try to boot this Linux Mint 13 MATE 32-bit, 3.2.0-23-generic (/dev/sdb5)' --class linuxmint --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
insmod gzio
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 77478168-2ed7-4c0e-864e-55b3e2f68d75
linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-23-generic root=UUID=77478168-2ed7-4c0e-864e-55b3e2f68d75 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-23-generic
}

### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

5. save the file back to the same filename
6. reboot, when grub menu shows up, select this one that read.

Try to boot this Linux Mint 13 MATE 32-bit, 3.2.0-23-generic (/dev/sdb5)
Frederator

Post by Frederator »

Hi Wayne128 and thanks a lot for responding.
I edited the grub.cfg file to reflect your suggestion but the error message in my original post still came up, as usual, when I rebooted.
One thing I've noticed is that when I boot up and choose Mint from grub, I usually get a black screen first time. I reboot a second time and choose Mint from grub and it opens to the error message (but after typing 'exit', Mint boots fine).
Also, if I choose Windows XP from the grub, it boots right up into my xp desktop.
If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks again for trying to help a noob.
Frederator
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

May be try this CD to rescue grub
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/rescatux/
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

-Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
Could you try this - this is only temporary, but just to see if it is the problem:
When you boot and the Grub menu appears, with Mint entry highlighted, press e to edit
Use down arrow to get to the "linux" line.
At the end of the line add rootdelay=120
press Ctrl+X to boot
It may take a long time to boot, but it's just to see if it does boot without going to the prompt.

caribriz
Frederator

Post by Frederator »

Yes, caribriz, adding rootdelay=120 to the Grub menu as you suggested allowed Mint to boot without going to the prompt. Joy!
Now, how can I edit the file to make it permanent and where exactly does the rootdelay= entry go in the file? Does the value have to be as much as 120?
You da man!
Thanks for your input.
Frederator
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Frederator wrote:....how can I edit the file to make it permanent and where exactly does the rootdelay= entry go in the file?
Does the value have to be as much as 120?
I think you would open a terminal and enter

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
change the line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash rootdelay=120"
Save the file
then

sudo update-grub
I think you'll have to experiment with the number - reading various scenarios I've seen 50 ... 90.
Edit - having another look around, I saw one instance as low as 9. Also examples using 10 and 30. So, whatever works for your situation, I guess.

I'd experiment temporarily, as before (editing Grub menu line temporarily at boot) until you get it right, then if all ok, edit the file.

caribriz
Frederator

Post by Frederator »

Thanks again, caribriz, for the editing instructions. I settled on 50 and that boots without the prompt.
However, I have to reboot the machine twice. The first boot into Grub shows the first Mint entry highlighted and and in 5-10 seconds (with no input from me) goes to a black screen (no blinking cursor in the upper right corner). I then have to reboot again and this time the Grub menu won't make a choice until I press <enter> to activate the highlighted Mint entry. After that I get a dark screen but this time there is a blinking cursor in the upper left corner until it boots into Mint.
The next question is how to get Grub to automatically select the Mint entry and boot straight into the desktop without the second boot and the user input.
Any ideas?
Thanks again for all your help.
Frederator
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Very odd that it would "one-boot" with a value of 50 when you manually edited the Grub entry, but not with the edited file :?

When you do eventually boot into the Mint desktop, does everything work normally?

I wonder what would happen if you re-edit /etc/default/grub and change the line back to 120 and see if you still have the "double-boot" problem.
As before, save the file then sudo update-grub, then reboot.

You could try giving the GRUB_TIMEOUT line a bigger value, say 20
GRUB_TIMEOUT=20

Maybe this will give it more time - which may (or may not :?: ) be the original problem.

Also removing the words quiet splash from the line so it just reads
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="rootdelay=50"
may throw some light on any errors, because instead of just the black screen before the login screen appears, you should get text readout while it boots up.

caribriz
Frederator

Post by Frederator »

We have lift off!
I made the changes you recommended and then rebooted. Grub counted 20 seconds, then went to the plain black screen for a couple minutes before flashing a bunch of text output on the screen, then booting right into the desktop.
Its not the fastest boot I've ever seen but it is working without any input from me.
I am including the final Grub file.

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=20
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="rootdelay=120"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

I am going to mark this thread [SOLVED] and want to thank you, caribriz, for all your excellence guidance.
Frederator
caribriz

Re: [SOLVED] Dual boot issues XP and Mint 13

Post by caribriz »

Glad you got it working :)

caribriz

Return to “Installation & Boot”