Upgrading Bea to Bianca in a dual boot machine (XP)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Upgrading Bea to Bianca in a dual boot machine (XP)

Post by ambertone »

Hi all,

I have XP and Bea happily living together in my spare machine. I'd like to upgrade Bea to Bianca without it destroying the XP install (kids use it for playing games)

Is this possible?

Cheers

Rod
PS: Linux has to be THE best thing for kids going on the internet!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
euthypro
Level 3
Level 3

Can be done.

Post by euthypro »

Don't know if you've done so already, but I had no problems except what's on this thread:

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=932

Sometimes Grub doesn't see Windows. I'd suggest opening /boot/grub/menu.lst and checking the entry for booting Windows before you install Bianca. You may have to enter it again manually after installing.

Good luck!

Angel
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Thanks for that, no have not done it yet and grub is OK with Windows and Bea at the moment.

Cheers

Rod
Melbourne, Australia
euthypro
Level 3
Level 3

Wait, maybe?

Post by euthypro »

Hi, Rod!

Greetings from a Puerto Rican lost in Texas.

If you are happy with Bea, you might want to wait until Bianca is released. I lost Windows again from Grub menu when I installed an upgrade for the kernel. It's really not much of a problem. All it takes is a minute or two editing Grub menu.lst. There seems to be a conflict with Mintdisk. Clem is working on it, and it's being followed on the thread I posted for you.

Linux Mint got me out of a bit of a spot down in Colombia, when I needed a PC and Windows went all wobbly on me; so I'm grateful, and trying to learn it as much as I can.

Angel
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Hi Angel, greetings from Melbourne, Australia. (bottom of the east coast)

Yes I think I'll stick with Bea on the dual OS machine as it runs well and is very stable. I've been playing with Bianca on another machine and have found some issues that they are working on.

Cheers

Rod
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi Rod,

A tutorial will be published after the stable version of Bianca is released. You'll be able to upgrade to Bianca without downloading the ISO and without affecting your boot menu. In fact your whole configuration will be intact :)

Clem
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Thanks Clem, sounds like a neat way to do it.

Rod

Return to “Other topics”