xmodmap

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SJNY

xmodmap

Post by SJNY »

Hello,

I bought a KVM switch which is hooked to windows PC and a Linux Mint 13 KDE. The hot key scroll lock + scroll lock works fine on windows but not on Linux. One solution that I found was to key in Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to command line and then Scroll lock + Scroll lock to change to Windows PC. When back on Linux box key in CTRL+F7 to go back to GUI. This works fine however adds an extra step. Another solution is to add and entry to xmodmap However, when I execute the command I keep on getting the output below.

# xmodmap -e "add mod3 = Scroll_Lock"
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
xmodmap: unable to open display ':0'

At this point I am stuck. I searched the web but could not figure out why I am getting the above output. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Re: xmodmap

Post by LindseyD. »

Trying to solve a completely different problem, I discovered there's a bug (at least one, but I suspect more) in udev that causes, among other things, that "no protocol specified" message. I make no claims to understand any of it :(

I don't know if you've seen that in your travels around the web, but if not, maybe try adding udev to your search terms. I wish you much better luck than I've had solving the problem.
Mint17 KDE

Return to “Software & Applications”