How to install Nvidia drivers

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eikeb

How to install Nvidia drivers

Post by eikeb »

Hi there,
I just installed Linux Mint 14. My last OS was Ubuntu.
Since I have a bit tearing I would like to install the nvidia graphics driver. Under Ubuntu, there was a menu item "Additional Drivers" where I just had to select the appropriate driver. Is there something similar in Linux Mint?
My graphic card is a GeForce GTX 560 Ti.

I have tried to install the driver manually by installiing nvidia-current. After a reboot my resolution was set to 1024x768 and I wasn't able to change it to a higher solution in the nvidia x server settings tool.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to install the driver correctly?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: How to install Nvidia drivers

Post by remoulder »

From the (ubuntu) release notes "Jockey has been deprecated in favor of a "Drivers" component in software-properties"
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
eikeb

Post by eikeb »

Thank you for your response.
But what does that mean to me? Is there another way to install the driver?
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

That means you launch Software Sources and the new tab at the far right ("Additional Drivers") should list the Nvidia drivers - in my case, however, it's empty.

If yours is too, simply close Software Sources, open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
eikeb

Post by eikeb »

Hi,
I installed nvidia-current as you suggested, but I encountered the same problem as mentioned above. After the next login, the resolution was set to 1024x768 and I am not able to set it higher. Neither with the nvidia x server settings tool, nor under Preferences -> Display.
Do you have any idea what I'm missing?
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

You can try adding this ppa: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

and update and upgrade
eikeb

Post by eikeb »

I finally got it working :)
At the end, I installed nvidia-current and edited the xorg.conf file myself. When I changed the resolution to 1920x1080 everything works as expected and the nvidia x server settings tool recognizes all resolutions that are supported by my graphics card.

Return to “Hardware Support”