Problems with Alt-Right functionality in Mint 14 Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tyrael142

Problems with Alt-Right functionality in Mint 14 Cinnamon

Post by tyrael142 »

I'm having trouble disabling the Alt-right click functionality in Mint 14 Cinnamon. I use many softwares such as Blender that use this shortcut and i would like to disable it. I have already looked in /preferences/keyboard/keyboard shortcuts and didnt find Alt-Right in it. I read around on the forums and saw someone with a similar problem so i used both gconfig-editor to search through and change /apps/metacity/mouse_button_modifier but it wasn't there. I also tried using dconfig-editor to search and change /org/gnome/desktop/wm/preferences/mouse_button_modifier to value "<Super>" and didn't work. I also went to system settings - keyboard layout - Layouts - Options - Alt/Win Key Behavior and tried both "Hyper is mapped to Win-keys" and "Meta is mapped to Win-keys" but still neither worked. It's confusing me to no end :shock:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fault

Re: Problems with Alt-Right functionality in Mint 14 Cinnamo

Post by Fault »

I'm having the same problem, in Mint 13 Cinnamon it was possible using the gconfig-editor to disable it, but as you said that mouse_button_modifier option is missing and it doesn't help creating it oneself either. Hoping someone knows a workaround for this issue.
lexington523

Re: Problems with Alt-Right functionality in Mint 14 Cinnamo

Post by lexington523 »

I searched for a long time for this. I finally found a solution on my own. I have a much easier answer than most of the solutions that I found. This is confirmed to work in Mint 15 and probably is present in earlier editions.

go to: system settings --> windows
locate "modifier to use for modified window click actions"
change it from "Alt" to nothing.

and that's all there is to it. none of this complicated stuff. I don't know why that was so impossible to find in online forums.

Return to “Beginner Questions”