dconf-editor not working...........

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hogfan

dconf-editor not working...........

Post by hogfan »

This has turned into a total nightmare trying to get simply get my laptop to display only on my external monitor WITH THE LID CLOSED! I chose "Do Nothing" for on lid close in the power manager in cinnamon, but but every time I close the laptop lid the external display goes off. So I installed dconf-tools and manually changed the settings there as well. I also verified the settings saved by rebooting the laptop and running dconf-editor again. However, when I close the laptop lid the external display still goes off. Does anybody know how to make this work? Laptop is Dell XPS 14Z and is connected to the external display via HDMI. I don't know anywhere else to try and change the settings. The laptop will be on a shelf when connected to the external display so I do not want the laptop lid open. Suggestions? It is things like this that really annoy me about Linux. I am not having trouble running apps, etc., but it seems the littlest things that should be simple turn into a 2 hr ordeal. Thanks for any assistance. Also forgot to mention I'm on the 64-bit version of MInt 13 with Cinnamon Desktop.

-hogfan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: dconf-editor not working...........

Post by kyphi »

Have you considered a mechanical cause for the laptop display switching off when closing the lid?

This might help:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/152156/h ... -laptop-li
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
hogfan

Re: dconf-editor not working...........

Post by hogfan »

Thanks, that link helped. Doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, but moving the mouse again after closing the lid and watching the external display go blank does bring the external (primary) display back. So now that I know that it works good. I have just set the laptop to never turn the screen off and just dim as can never get it to come back. This is another know issue that is unrelated. Thanks for the help. I got rolling now with Synergy as well and am sharing the mouse & keyboard from my OSX system as I type this on my Mint notebook. Thanks for the help!

-hogfan

Return to “Software & Applications”