Shutdown button = Logout (Mint 14 will not shut down)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BlackFox

Shutdown button = Logout (Mint 14 will not shut down)

Post by BlackFox »

Hi,

So I am running Linux Mint 14, Cinnamon, from a USB, with persistence, with the help of Universal-USB-Installer, and when I click on the shutdown button Linux logs out but nothing shuts down. I am able to shutdown via the terminal using

"sudo shutdown -h now" OR "sudo shutdown -P now"

but this is not really an ideal solution

I stumbeled across a solution involving modifying the grub file http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... wn#p651173 but I don't think it's the same issue and the solution does not work and returns this error when I try to update-grub "/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of /cow."

I think this could be a problem with the fact that I'm running Linux off a USB, but I'm disappointed something as basic as shutdown would not work. I'm new to Linux and I'm not even close to actually installing Linux on my laptop yet.

If there is anyone that can provide a solution or point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated

Thanks,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jasonm

Re: Shutdown button does not work when booting from USB

Post by jasonm »

I am having similar, but not quite the same issues:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=118094

sudo shutdown does not work for me though. It just goes right into a "restart" instead of a "shutdown".
BlackFox

Re: Shutdown button only logs me out of desktop

Post by BlackFox »

I tested out several desktop environments and found out that the shutdown button in Mint 14 MATE 64-bi works properly.

Mint 14 Cinnamon 64-bit: Shutdown button only logs out
Mint 14 MATE 64-bit: Shutdown button shuts down properly
Mint 14 Gnome (Classic) 64-bit: Shutdown button only logs out

EDIT: I just discovered that if I login with the username "mint" I am able to shutdown properly with no problems. If I login with my username the shutdown button will log me out but then I can choose the action to shutdown, which works properly. So at least for me this problem seems to have something to due with the user account setup or permissions.

When I booted the live usb for the first time the mint username was the default account and I used to user account menu to create an administrator user account and password. Did I do something wrong? If I am an admin shouldn't I have all the same functionality of the "mint" user.

Return to “Installation & Boot”