Nadia/Mint 14 - Restore (from Backup Tool): restore to root?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robenroute
Level 2
Level 2

Nadia/Mint 14 - Restore (from Backup Tool): restore to root?

Post by robenroute »

Hi there,

Perhaps I did something wrong, but yesterday I noticed that the tar backup archive (from Mint 12) restored to the root folder (/root, that is). I tried changing the destination folder, but it would refuse to accept anything else but the /root folder.

Is this a known "feature" ;-) or did I do something wrong indeed?

Thanks for any feedback.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gpolkga

Re: Nadia/Mint 14 - Restore (from Backup Tool): restore to r

Post by gpolkga »

Same problem here on fresh install trying to restore data files.
gpolkga

Post by gpolkga »

Update on my earlier post. It seems like a bug in the Mint backup program to me. I was able to get the restore to work properly by randomly trying several different restore destinations (that were listed by default) and then hitting the "back" button before the restore actually ran. Then, when I selected my home directory the last time ("Home\name") it selected correctly. Hope this helps.
robenroute
Level 2
Level 2

Post by robenroute »

Well, I just "tar -xvf"-ed the archive manually, so the files were restored all right. Newbies and others, less inclined/apt to make use of the command line, might end up in a bit of trouble using the backup tool in its current guise...
MarkMT

Post by MarkMT »

I just encountered the same problem, however via this post - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=117415 I learned that the problem was a result of double-clicking my home directory to open it, rather than just selecting it. This solved the problem for me.

Return to “Software & Applications”