Moving mint from windows partition to dedicated partition

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vkk178

Moving mint from windows partition to dedicated partition

Post by vkk178 »

I installed Mint 14 on a Win7 partition using mint4Win ,a few days back and I absolutely loving it . I seem to be using Mint more than windows , so I think I want to move the installation from Win 7 partition (20 GB mint root disk) to a dedicated partition ( 30 GB) . Another reason I want to move it to a dedicated partition is to be able to hibernate mint , which I cannot do with a Min4win installtion . Is there any way I can move my installation to a dedicated partition ? Appreciate any help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Moving mint from windows partition to dedicated partitio

Post by caf4926 »

You really need to install mint properly
Eg: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3e0lL ... zVFNGpmd2s
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
vkk178

Post by vkk178 »

I would have re-installed from scratch ,but Ive got a lot a lot stuff installed and configured . So ideally I would like to just copy this image to a proper partition . Is that possible some way ? I guess it would be useful for folks if they could do the same
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Sorry
I don't know how mint4win works
Is it's like wubi in ubuntu?

If you access the complete file system with a real Linux install, you might be able to use 'dd' to image it
But how well it will work I don't know.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
vkk178

Post by vkk178 »

Yes mint4win is basically Wubi for mint . dd might work in theory but then there's a lot of of other stuff that goes on . Also not sure of the root.disk file generated by mint4win is a raw image or some sort of modified format

Return to “Installation & Boot”